JCM2000 - DSL201 - Planning to profile - what amp to match with in Axe?

themaidenmaniac

Experienced
Hi guys,

Inspired by the floydian mark IV thread, thought i'd have a go at profiling a 5150 & a DSL201 I have to hand. Question is, what do you think is the closest amp to the DSL201 to begin with?

Also, another question. Planning to go via the morphosis method. Obviously with most profiling, it is going to be with the "Send out" on the amp, which I'm kind of worried about. As the send is actually before the power amp stage, will I not be losing the power amps effect on the signal when it comes to matching? (aka isnt the only way to do this properly by using a "power soak" out, or speaker out (obviously without blowing your tube amp up!).

EDIT: Scratch the above. Obviously would just have to disable power amp simulations at the time of the clone, then switch them back on after the completion.

Cheers,

Kev

Last edited:
The DSL is an interesting amp in the case that most of the tone/distortion comes almost all from the PREAMP section...

It was designed so you don't need to crank it to get a good Marshall tone... so power amp wise unless your blasting it the power amp wont have a significant effect on the tone of the amp (up to about noon/12 oclock on the master)

A JCM800... most of the gain/awesomeness comes from the poweramp section/it being cranked... but the DSL has all the gain/preamp coming from the preamp section

I prefer the tone of the DSL100 Head... I think totally it's the best of all the DSL- i think the combos have a noticeably different sound and not as rich and awesome.

The DSL is this... Channel 1 is a Clean JCM800 and the second setting of channel 1 is a cranked JCM800
Channel 2 is an Overdriven 1959slp and the second setting of channel 2 is a modded 1959slp

Overall- with the DSL you won't be missing out on the lack of poweramp-ness in the tone

Back
Top Bottom