JBL PRX712 vs EV ZLX12p

Chris6870

I have narrowed by FRFR speaker choice down to these two. I can get either for the same money. Unfortunately I can't try them out side by side in person. A lot of people like the EV, I have the JBL PRX400 passive which sounds good with the AX8. The JBL is normally more expensive but is discontinued thus on closeout in many places that puts it in the same price range as the EV. If I want to add a second speaker down the road the EV would be easier to find since its still made, unless I bought used. I would assume the JBL would be better quality since the EV is basically their budget line.Just not sure if the JBL will sound better than the EV. Which is a better choice?

I own the ZLX's, but have had the opportunity to play through the JBL's.......If I were going to buy a pair right now, I would get the JBL's. But, you seem to only be purchasing 1 currently, so that poses a little bit of a decision to make. I am sure that JBL will be coming out with something to replace the PRX, but if I were looking to buy another down the line I wouldn't like that uncertainty. IF that were the case, I would end up going with the ZLX because I am pretty confident they are not going anywhere and they don't sound bad in the least. The JBL's just seem to have a bit more power to them, thus giving you a bit more headroom. Some say the ZLX's have a weird mid hump going on with them, but I really haven't noticed it to be honest. I think it really depends on what setting you have it on in the DSP menu. You can look at their frequency graphs online for those speakers and find out what settings will give you the flattest response.

Quick question though..... where do you see that they are discontinued? I see that they are on sale, but still no where in the neighborhood price wise of the ZLX12p's. The lowest price I have seen on the PRX's is $550, while the ZLX's can be had for around $350. Personally, I wouldn't call that the same price range...... I got a pair of the ZLX12p's for just a few more dollars than what one of the PRX's is going for currently. It always helps to call MusicianFriend and see what kind of a deal they can work out for you.

I saw them for $409. Maybe just on sale but I thought I had read they are being blown out to make way for a new model. Just wondering if the JBL is an upgrade from the EV. I like the EV has a built in 2 channel mixer.

I saw them for $409. Maybe just on sale but I thought I had read they are being blown out to make way for a new model. Just wondering if the JBL is an upgrade from the EV. I like the EV has a built in 2 channel mixer.

Man, if I had seen a PRX712 for $409 I would have jumped on a pair! You sure they weren't refurbs? On a side note....the PRX712's have a 2 channel mixer as well, just like the EV's. The only thing that is really different on the back panel is the JBL's don't have the DSP stuff.

Man, if I had seen a PRX712 for $409 I would have jumped on a pair! You sure they weren't refurbs? On a side note....the PRX712's have a 2 channel mixer as well, just like the EV's. The only thing that is really different on the back panel is the JBL's don't have the DSP stuff.

It doesn't appear to be refurbs. They are now $429. Yesterday they were $409. So would you suggest I get the JBL? Is the DSP stuff worth it? Seems like the LCD screen is another thing that can go bad. The EV's seem a little more compact and the price is lower.

I bought a pair of JBL PRX712's. I really like them for everything, small p.a., monitors, FRFR guitar setups. They sound great.

It doesn't appear to be refurbs. They are now $429. Yesterday they were $409. So would you suggest I get the JBL? Is the DSP stuff worth it? Seems like the LCD screen is another thing that can go bad.

All the DSP is really is a digital EQ. It just gives you some more options with EQ curves. The JBL just offers a flat and boost settings via a button. The JBL's can flat out rock a room. but so can the EV's for that matter. You honestly can't go wrong with either one.....I just know that the JBL's were going for $700 each when I bought my EV's. I got the set for $650 from MF with a set of speaker poles thrown in. IF I could have gotten a pair of the JBL's for $800..... I probably would have gotten them instead.

I ended up going with the EV. I pondered for a few days and in that time the price on the JBL went back up close to $500, I was able to get the EV for $340 shipped and they are offering free covers now. It showed up today and sounds really good at bedroom volumes. I will wring it out at band rehearsal but so far I love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom