JBL PRX Series - 612M, 615M, 635

Jimi1983

Hi All

I'm looking for a FRFR speaker to go with the Axe. Also would plan to do vocal thru it in smaller settings for jam sessions. FBTs get rave reviews but are hard to come by in my area. I've seen good things about the new JBL PRX600 series which are easier to come by for me. I'm considering going stereo, but may start out with a single speaker. Has anyone tried all of these out and compared them with the Axe? Would the 612M be good enough for my planned use, or should I invest in a 15" version? 635 is 3-way so that is tempting, but it is also a much bigger cab (dimensions and weight) to lug around and only driving a car, not a van, so two might be pushing it. That being said if there is a considerable improvement in quality thru the 3 way I'd probably go for it. I'm doing classic rock (Beatles to Hendrix) and hard rock (Zepp, old Sabbath at the heaviest) and acoustic stuff. Not doing modern metal or heavy dropped tunings.

Thanks!

Jimi

Hey Jimi,

Been looking at the PRX12M or what ever the 12" is myself. See MF has them in stock now and I could get money off today for Veterans Day sale, but don't have the funds available. If you get the chance to try them out let us know what you think please. If I get the chance I'll do the same.

Ed

I'm very close to getting a pair of the PRX635's and soon the sub. If I get it before you, I'll let you know my thoughts. I'm going to (crosses fingers) Sell both my Mesa 4x12 oversized AND the 2x12 to fund it, so I'll let you know. Hopefully to power my whole band at all our gigs, but we'll see if it will handle it for the heavy stuff.

Got me a K12 and another on the way. Don't know if I could be any happier. It will have to do for at least this year. Maybe a K-Sub later in the year. Hope the PRX's work out for you. Keep us informed.

Ed

I have a pair of PRX 535s and have used them with the Axe, and IMHO are completely awesome sounding, in fact the best of everything I have tried, however they are also completely impractical at 74lbs each. With the mid driver they have an ability to cut through a mix like nothing else, and who needs 1300W? In an ideal world (roadies and a really big stage) I would use them in a heartbeat, however I seem to live in the real world.

I tried the PRX612 for about 5 minutes...I wish I spent more time with it, but at first pass, it was really good.
I find JBL's to have an overly bright top end to them...but that's nothing that can't be tamed with some Eq.

I also tried the K12 (for a bunch of hours in my basement). I wasn't crazy about it.
If I had to make a decision between those two right this second....I would choose the JBL.
It seemed like a promising box...

Back
Top Bottom