JBL Monitor Users: You might want to read this! (SRX712m content)

In my recent studies I have found that the most guitar interaction occurs in the range of 100-300 Hertz. In air that corresponds to a wavelength of roughly 1-3 meters. Most guitar players are within 1-2 meters of the cabinet so it is not at all surprising that a polarity reversal would be make a difference.

Also, we tend to prefer the pick attack with positive pressure, for whatever reason. If the speaker is wired in reverse there will be negative pressure on the pick attack.

I gotta say, this kind of thing is why I lurk about in these parts...

Its easy to test. Stand in the same location, get a note to sustain. Reverse the speaker polarity and try again. its actually the reason I noticed the JBL was wrong in the first place because I couldn't quite get my guitar to sustain/feedback very easily or at all until I reversed the speaker.

Well I guess my K12's are wired right (always wondered after Jay's K10 thing) because i can milk them forever depending how I stand!!
But really who woulda thunk?
When I work on my stuff (connections) a battery is always avail to test polarity and it gets used! But I never have needed to open the K12's

Oh, and BTW, JBL convention is backwards relative to all other speakers, IIRC.

My question through this whole thread is... Why are they backwards? Interesting stuff here! I remember reading years ago, (in the SR days) that JBL was transitioning to the Positive to red standard like everyone else, but it seems that is not the case yet?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom