JBL EON's vs. THD - up front amp decision for AxeFx newbie

mkoetter

I'm looking forward to receiving my ultra in a couple weeks and am trying to sort out my initial approach to amplification. I'm trying to keep an open mind on frfr from the get-go. But I have to confess that in my past, I have been addicted to the visceral feeling you get with a reasonably loud tube amp.... so I want to get my up front listening tests right.

Seems like this is an almost religious topic, so let me say now that I only want to make sure I am setting up a best case listening test on both sides of the equation. This gear is what I have available to me today - I will likely tweak and improve once I've chosen a path.

The tube setup:
Ultra running into power amp input of my THD Flexi 50, then to a THD 2x12 (stock THD vintage and longhorn speakers).

Solid state frfr:
Ultra running into my band's JBL EON 15 G2's. They are 300+100 watts bi-amped with 39hz - 18khz response.

My question is this - are these both reasonably good setups for the Axe-FX, and what should I take into consideration during the test? Should I be considering the Atomic approach (tube amp + full range speaker) as well?

Either way, I'm forward to joining the axe-fx ranks - can't wait for it to arrive!

Back
Top Bottom