JB clipping using 5150 Red & Blue Channels with firmware 22.0

jjwags66

Installed new Firmware 22.0 - now my Guitar with a JB pick up is causing internal clipping message when using 5150 red or blue channel and it’s definitely clipping big time - anything I need to do to prevent this - never happened before - also does this when Dyno cab turned off as well -

Where exactly is it clipping? Input or output? If it's doing it with just these amps, sounds like it's clipping the output and the Level just needs to be turned down in the Amp block.

Setting Instrument Level 1 to 5% seems to be the magic number for most people with hot pickups, myself included. Handles my guitars with JBs just fine. Might be able to go higher than that but start there.

Where exactly is it clipping? Input or output? If it's doing it with just these amps, sounds like it's clipping the output and the Level just needs to be turned down in the Amp block.
Clipping just says internal - might be input - when I roll back my volume on guitar it stops - everything i have tried in amp block was unsuccessful - or any setting on input and output

Last edited:
Clipping just says internal - looks like output - everything i have tried in amp block was unsuccessful - or any setting on input and output
"Clipping just says internal". Where are you seeing this? In your DAW? There is no "Internal Clip" message in the firmware.

It’s because jb stands for jazz blues. Not Jeff beck. Not sure where the correlation came about.

No kidding? Haha I’ve always thought they were associated with the late great Jeff Beck. I don’t see these as good for jazz or blues either. I ran the JB Jazz set for awhile in one of my guitars.

"Clipping just says internal". Where are you seeing this? In your DAW? There is no "Internal Clip" message in the firmware.
clipping messages on the unit - new with firmware 22.0 - I have to roll back volume on guitar a bit to fix clipping- which is not ideal — tried adjusting input & output blocks via edit - nothing fixing it -/ will try a few tricks suggested later tonight after work

clipping messages on the unit - new with firmware 22.0 - I have to roll back volume on guitar a bit to fix clipping- which is not ideal — tried adjusting input & output blocks via edit - nothing fixing it -/ will try a few tricks suggested later tonight after work
On the front panel of your Axe-FX, go to:

setup > I/O > Input tab > Input 1 / Instrument

adjust this down until you don't get the clip warning on the mini tuner. with my JB's I've found that number to be around 10%, but I also hit the strings super hard at times

FWIW sometimes clipping the input can be a desirable sound with higher gain tones. I run pretty hot pickups generally and find that I've never really had to fiddle with the A/D gain. If you're finding it happens during open palm mutes exclusively then don't sweat it tbh.

Since the message is now small I don’t care anymore. My presets are levelled, I don’t hear any digital clipping in recording, if you hit hard, whatever you do, you will have this message. Now when I see this message it make me laugh in my head, like « hehe, you see little axe fx, my 1,5 mm pick hurt your ass you see 🤣 »
Don’t worry. Use the levelling tool in axe edit and everything is fine

Back
Top Bottom