Jangus Music Wi AudioLink IEM or Wireless Instrument

grape

Experienced
This isn't a full review but I wanted to put this out there for those who have inexpensive wireless needs.

The Jangus Music Wi AudioLink can be used as an IEM transmitter/receiver or a wireless instrument transmitter/receiver. It costs < $200 and includes the transmitter and receiver plus a bunch of cables. First off, I'm jumping the gun on this post because my initial reaction to this thing is great.

+ Great sound as an IEM system. It's not the same as wired but it's the closest I've ever had. The key to this is the 16bit 48Khz transmission.
+ Dropouts didn't kill my ears.
+ Great sound as a guitar system. I tried it with an AxeFX Ultra (front input). Again, this is not the same as wired but it comes close. I compared it to the Line 6 XD70 (same as G50/90) and it has slightly less presence while retaining the high end. I improved this by changing the gain but still felt the Line 6 was better.
+ Nice carrying case. I love this trend of shipping IEMs and other wireless gear with dedicated cases. This one isn't a Pelican but it has separate compartments for everything and provides quite a bit of protection.
+ Relatively low price. At $200, you can could get at least 2 for the price of 1 low end non-digital system.
+ Charging can be done via USB and the cable splits to two units. A power adapter is also supplied.
+ These have to be the smallest units out there. They look like first gen USB sticks.
+ Plenty of output for 16 ohm and 54 ohm headphones. I was worried about this b/c the Emu was lacking in this respect.
+ didn't interfere with my bluetooth (the emu did for whatever reason)
+ optional AA battery pack. I don't have this but would consider it for critical use. It's supposed to get 13 hours with the pack, 6 on the built in rechargeables.

- Plastic. I'd pay more for a metal enclosure. These things are relatively small so I'd live with the extra weight. I wouldn't step on these or let them swing and hit the ground attached to my guitar strap (something that happens quite a bit with my metal transmitters... I'm on the lookout for the perfect metal box to put this in... maybe one of those fancy gum containers.
- Non-locking Mini jack in/out. It has a solid fit and right angle cord but make sure the cable is secured. The manual shows it under the belt loop.
- Buttons are not recessed so they could be pressed by accident in a pocket or by pressing against something - another reason to find that fancy gum container...
- Some signal degradation from wired. The units are so small and light that I believe they have compromised on the converters.
- No noise suppression. This can be done on the receiver side in an instrument setup so it's not a big deal but you can enable this on the Line 6's
- No removable battery. Either you wait to charge it or you use your backup that you purchased with the money saved :0)
- Latency may be pushing it as an IEM but not as an instrument system.
I have not tested for interference, distance (claimed 100 feet), or battery life (claimed 6 hours). I will be using it as an IEM system.

In my last wireless blurb I wrote about the Line 6 G90 vs XD70. See it here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/40577-line6-g90-vs-line6-xd-70-axefx.html

Back
Top Bottom