James Tyler Variax acoustic sounds and Axe Fx (Standard)

setzinger

Recently I bought a James Tyler Variax JTV69 and was very pleased with the handling of the guitar and with the electric models in it.

But I was a little bit disappointed with the acoustic guitar models.

I thought the acoustic guitar models were modeled from mic'd acoustic guitars.
Why then is the sound not satisfying when I play them through an empty Axe Fx preset (just one filter block for blocking deep frequencies and setting the volume level)?

I go FRFR with an outstanding Tannoy Power V12.

Was I wrong thinking it should be enough to amplify the mic'd acoustic Variax models?

Is it possible to get real high quality acoustic guitar sounds from the Variax?

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks

Make sure you get the tone right from the guitar - I ended up saving my acoustic sounds in the JTV 59 I own with the tone knob at about 2-3 if I recall.

I use a Multi-Band compressor to dial mine in with some room reverb to give it space; you don't have a multi-band compressor on the standard so maybe some compression perhaps and some sort of short reverb?

And when I compress it, I mean lightly compress it to get the sonic spread better balanced. Not to crush it. The dynamics are what give it life.

Scott, I have JTV-69, Axe-II and FRFR. Can you possibly share the acoustic patch? What cab/IR are you using? thanks.

Did you also try plugging in the rear of the axe? It may sound better if the signal is line level (or line 6 level for that matter! :lol )

jon: My aim is to switch from acoustic to electric sounds within one song, so I have to decide for front or rear input. Will test it anyhow.

Scott: I will try your recommendations.

I heard some pretty good acoustic tones on youtube, especially from a french guy (Hardy?).
Do you think these tones are heavily processed afterwards?

What exactly do you find not satisfying? Wanna post up a clip highlighting your concerns?

If you own a Tyler Variax just play an acoustic guitar model with a "shunt only" Axe-Fx preset through a good FRFR system.

I expected this simple setup to sound like a mic'd and amplified acoustic guitar, but for me it sounded artifical - not natural enough.

Since many years I'm used to the sound of my Guild D25 from 1974. This is my "ear reference".

What I usually do is to add a 2nd reverb or delay with very short time to make the 'room' inside the acoustic guitar audible, don't add to much of it, it's just to make a lifeless 2D guitar alive and 3D.
Another thing I did especially with the JTV is to use an EQ to rise highs and lower lows. To me the curve is too bassy and flat and needs highs.
But then, yes, it's ok.

I don't have a JT variax :( but I have an acoustic 700 variax I could try it with.
If you're connecting with just shunts, it should sound the same as if you connected the JT direct. How does it sound if you hit 'bypass' on the front panel?

I play my JTV-69 through an HD500 to FRFR... Only thing in that patch (typically use) is a slight compressor (IA), two gain blocks (needed for the HD) totalling 35dB and a chorus (IA). I keep that at my weekly gig so have not really used it much through the AXII...

It is hard to not be 'hearing' the physical strings (I play at low volumes in the location) mixed with the acoustic sim.. even worse is a real acoustic as Setzinger commented (I have a Taylor, same feeling). When playing full hollow bodies (AF75, PM120, Guild X-500) the acoustic is quite mixed with the PA/monitor..

That might be some of the issue.. when we play a real acoustic (dry) we are hearing it differently than what is in front of the sound holes (audience) or via the PA (from monitors).... I guess a recorder might help (I am going to try that to see what 'the audience hears'....might be dissapointing...my skills mostly).

1wheel nails it.

Listen to a board recording of your actual acoustic versus the Variax removed from playing it. You'll most likely find the Variax holds up well.

It sounds and feels funny to the player, no doubt. To the audience? Sounds fine.

To the folks asking for my preset, there's nothing to it. Just a slight compression to even it out from strumming to finger style and some short reverb. Nothing else. No IR or cab block. I use the mixer to bump the volume to match my electric guitar/amp presets.

The compressor is set to my playing style and my guitar - it won't work for any one else.

I have a Tyler Variax, and I really like it, I think the acoustic models are quite good, but as Scott Peterson said, it feels funny to the player. It won't substitute my Martin D28 on a serious recording, but it's ok for live playing. I send it straight to FOH, with some reverb, you can use some compression if you like (I prefer my acoustic without compression, though), I don't use any EQ, and of course no cab or amp block. I think it's a very nice instrument, with many usable sounds.

Thx all for your interesting comments!

Think I'm used to the sound of my Guild (with built in piezo) coming from my Tannoy.

Maybe it takes a litte time for me to appreciate the Variax acoustic sounds and to switch my hearing habit.

I noticed that depending on the guitar model the tone control knob can lead to many different sound textures.

To all fellow James Tyler Variax owners Line 6 just released a remarkable firmware update for the Variax plus updated the Workbench HD software Here is the link: Line 6 Software
The variax firmware amazingly fixes the strat 2nd and 4th position issues (its like night and day compared to before) and provides seamless switching between models.

Back
Top Bottom