James Santiago IR's

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
Spent some time this weekend with the James Santiago IR release and must say I'm really liking them...they have a 'flavor' to them that I find very sweet indeed.

I've found the Altec Paper R-121 UA_SS L is a nice match with the Suhr Badger (cleanish/mild OD) and the FAS Rhythm (mild/crunch OD)....I'm definitely going to spend more time with them; there is a certain kind of polish on them that just feels and sounds inspiring. New 'takes' on cab IR's in the last little while are proving enlightening...

Thanks again for these great IR's FAS and James.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome Stratoblaster! Cool thing about the Royer-121 is that it makes the high-end a little more silky. And, since that speaker is so aggressive in the upper mids and highs, pointing the mic towards the paper edge also gives you more girth.

That Altec speaker can sound amazing and horrible all depending on what amp is driving it, and what the frequency range of the mic is. But, that's the fun of it all. I'd love to hear your patch one of these days!

JS

James,

Thank you for these! The Altec/Royer combo in particular is lending something to my Dumble patches that I was lacking...something that is missing from the currently available G12-65 offerings. On a really good G12-65, there is a brassy midrange gnarl that just suits that amp. Your IR is helping me get more of that.

Is there possibly a way that we could get a short write up on what types of a
Amps the speakers are supposed to be matched with? Ie clean, mid gain, high gain? Thanks!

That sounds awesome Stratoblaster! Cool thing about the Royer-121 is that it makes the high-end a little more silky. And, since that speaker is so aggressive in the upper mids and highs, pointing the mic towards the paper edge also gives you more girth.

That Altec speaker can sound amazing and horrible all depending on what amp is driving it, and what the frequency range of the mic is. But, that's the fun of it all. I'd love to hear your patch one of these days!

Yes indeed; I tried it with some amps I thought it'd work well with and was surprised that it was a bad combination that I couldn't make work at all...and it worked really well with amps I never thought would. You're right, that's the fun of it. I find the high end with that speaker/mic/position very easy on the ears for sure, especially when moving a bit of air at 'gig levels'.

Cool...putting up clips/presets is a goal for me in the next couple of months...thanks for the motivation!

I have tried repeatedly to load a couple of the Ir's through Midi-Ox with no luck. I had previously
loaded other user Ir's into the Axe and they went through fine. Any ideas why these
would be different or is there another way to try?????

They are specific in timbre and color; that's their power - it's a complete package of speaker, position, mic, mic pre and are a complete blast. But that means at the same time that they are specific solutions to specific applications and not 'catch all' or general use problem solvers in terms of choosing IR's.

I love them; but they only work on certain types of amps and tones. Try them with the mid-gain amps (buttery is great as is the Wrecker).

Super psyched these are available now -- thank you James!! Really looking forward to the Altec.

Is there a package of these somewhere or do they need to be downloaded individually from AxeChange?

Thanks,
TT

TT
Check the announcement sticky. IIRC there is a link in the OP that will get you to a zip.

Matt suggested that we use Axe-Change to download them as well. This way the download counter reflects the credit due to James.

Guys, any idea when and if James Santiago is going to produce more of these IRs? I tried the EJ speakers with my Tele using the Brit Silver and it was totally sick. The whole thing sounded more alive and with more balls. Would love to experiment with more. Seems like the V2 of IRs incorporated the mic-pre is becoming the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom