I've Lost That Lovin Feelin'

Akstrat

Experienced
I've been a Fractal guy for many years. I am a believer and know the power of a Fractal. Been gigging through an AXE III/FC12 and a Mission 2x12 in a weekend cover band. Maybe like some of you, I am NOT a tweaker. I can turn gain knobs, bass-treble, or mess too much with the cab blocks, but I don't dive deep. Over the last few FW upgrades, I have lost some of my tones. My Marshall amps don't have that 4x12 in your face or old school thump, my Fender cleans lack that sparkle and rich clean tone, and lastly the Voxes are lackluster and sound thin.

The question is, do I start all over and create new presets from Fractal Presets/AxeChange or do I attempt and bring my older presets up to speed? I'm in the middle of our summer season and don't have a ton of time to devote to this, but I feel it is also time to make changes. Thankfully for people like Brett and Leon, I have stole a bunch of their stuff and have a library of a few things and tricks to use.

Any suggestions of how I should proceed? TIA

I think the best way to go is to reset your amp blocks and dial in the tone from a blank slate. You stated that you don't have the time to do that with your upcoming gig schedule, so I'd suggest rolling back to the most recent firmware where you think the tones still sounded the way you like and then stay there until you have spare time to dial in your tones again.

I’m on the FM3 but mostly the same amp modeling. For this latest update I reset some amp blocks. On others I just adjusted them in. Either way I was able to get them where I wanted them to be. Sounds better than ever to me. You should be able to get them back by resetting the amp block and just using the basic controls. Best luck!

The fractal gear as nice and great "toys" as they are and as capable and powerful tools they are not the purpose but the means to one which is music.
Start by making music either your own or playing the music you like and create your sounds based on the needs towards that goal.

I think dealing in a good sound is more easy than ever with FW26, mostly Gain, B,M,T, Presence and a good sounding IR cab is all i need - but i have to reset the amp block before. The result of the reset depends on the amp model, sometimes the difference is subtle and sometimes drastic!

My goal today is to just work on my main two presets and to load Bretts latest share. I'll upgrade to 26, reset the amps and see where I'm at. I'm hoping that I will be able to get closer than where I'm at currently. I love that Fractal continues the tone quest and their FW upgrades are second to none.

Hi…

You can try some presets sold, like Fremen.
Just for study and learning about. They are great!

Or, on the other hand, you can talk to someone at G66 channel like Cooper Carter or Leon Todd.

Hope you find your tone, dude.

All the best!

I have found the last few FW's incredibly easy to dial in, and I do start from scratch now almost every time. I am hopeful that you are pleasantly surprised at how quickly it goes for you.

Anybody have suggestions for getting that 4x12 thump with a Marshall back? Best cabs, mics and placement?
So you're saying that in your case, the FW updates actually ruined your tones? I've only had one big update since owning my FM3 but I'm interested to understand how this would happen. As I understand it, Cliff re-calibrates the amp models on these amp dates to improve them or add features to them, or possibly improve authenticity, so theoretically, it should be an improvement.

I suppose if you don't care about any of that and you've got a set up you're happy with already, would it not be better to just spend the time now and re-set your amp models and then just not do any FW updates in the future? I did wonder this myself after the last update because I ended up re-dialling in most of my amps too, which I don't want to do too often, although I am happier with the sound now.

The 4x12 thump you're after would just be down to the IR? And the low cut etc

Back
Top Bottom