I've decided to use this time to take a break from the axe-fx

james...

Experienced
I might get a little flak for posting this here, but I should say that this isn't meant to be negative at all. I'm still very much on board with you guys.

This is all in light of the fact that I have a gig coming up in less than a month.

After selling my standard over a week ago, and not knowing any real concrete details about the axe-fx II's availability...I have decided that I can't afford to wait for the II to drop right now.

I faced two choices yesterday. 1. Buy back a standard. or 2. *dread* find another option.

I've decided I need to go back to my roots for a while. I've had over 2 years with the axe-fx now and it's been a GREAT 2 years. And I fully intend to get a II in the future. But right now, I feel like going back to basics is what I need. At least for a while.

So I bought my dream amp. A Tophat Supreme 16. I'll be using it with a rather modest pedalboard. No rack effects. Just guitar>pedals>amp.

No worries cliff. You are still my hero. And I will be buying a II eventually. But right now I can't keep playing the waiting game. If it comes out tomorrow...well so be it. No regrets.

Good luck to the guys in the same boat as me who are still holding out. I'm sure it's gonna be worth it. No sarcasm there either.

Whatever makes you happy, man! But be warned: you´ll GAS all over it when you read the posts for the next weeks !!! I know I would : )

Congrats on the new amp! I'm actually in the same boat as you. A couple days now without my standard. I'm really on the fence if i will get a new amp, pick up an ultra or splurge for the axe-fx II. All I know is i miss it big-time :cry

you can always get an axe 2 when you're ready and use it for effects only in front of your tophat. i'm sure that setup would yield some amazing results!

After only using my Ultra for the last year I sold it last week fully planing on buying a new Axe II as soon as it became available. My plan was to use my Germino club 40 & 57 Twin until I got the new Axe but playing my amps over the last week I've found I really missed the organic feel of them when playing live.
Now I'm starting to really have second thoughts about buying another Axe.

From what I've heard so far regarding the amp modeling of the Axe fx 2, once we get the chance to hit our first chord with this baby, we will never look back again, the age of tube amp has come to an end my friends!!

Back to tube amp and pedals myself. This week will be 7 gigs axe-less waiting for the II.

The tube amp vibe is cool. The complexity and nakedness are fun; the low volume performance, lack of versatility and consistency are not. For me, after the axe-fx, it's less getting back to roots and more descending into the dark ages.

Yeah thanks for the support guys...lol

TBH I'm sure I'll be back sooner than I think.

This is really more to reassure myself of my last 2 years of tone nirvana. I need to be taught a lesson and this is my weird way of doing it.

Don't feel guilty, James. You'll love the Tophat, but in the end, you'll feel like coming back, 'cause the Axe-fx can give you what you search for and MUCH more. I'm axeless since this afternoon, waiting for the II, and I love the tone from my JMP50/scumback combo, and the 12" modded Princeton. But I know I won't *need* them with the Axe II (and didn't need them while having the Ultra), but it's hard to let them go... go figure.

Back
Top Bottom