I've Been Using X-Load Into the Axe-FX Incorrectly Destroying the Tone

Cynir

I explored the difference in tone when Fractal's X-Load DI Level is adjusted properly to handle a high power amp like Mesa Boogie's 2-channel Dual Rectifier. Why? Because the Dual Recto is notorious for its "bedroom" volume. You play at a bitch master volume; you get a bitch tone. But a high master volume will ruin your tone if you don't setup the LB-2 and Axe-FX III properly.

I found the LB-2's DI Level should be as high as possible without ever hitting red on the input lights on the Axe-FX III's front panel. You will have to lower the output volume in a block like the Input Block or Output Block to not have the output signal leaving the FX clip. Clipping is not like your instrument hitting red on the front panel; awful noises are heard.

I didn't test the LB-2 out straight to a mic pre, but if the Axe-FX's input isn't clipping, I doubt a mic pre would clip either when at 0 gain on the pre.

I get that high fizzle back and the hairy hardness in the low-mid when all levels are setup properly. Just wish I remembered to remove the high and low-pass filters in the cab block. I noticed in a lot of videos people have the X-Load DI Level around 10 o'clock to really push their amp's power tube saturation, but such a low DI Level really destroys the tone. I couldn't figure out until now why my mic'd cab had so much more hairy balls compared to playing into the Axe-FX.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom