I've been a Fractal player for years but (custom layout confession)

FPFL

Experienced
I never setup a custom layout until the FM9. It's so easy and so helpful.
I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

Vanilla scenes got it done before, and is still so handy, but it's nice to get exactly what you want where.
If you've been on the fence, just check out the YT tutorials from the usual folks - Leon, Rosh, Cooper, etc.
It took me more time to wire up and power on my laptop than to build a custom layout.

I'm kind of the opposite... I think I created custom layouts within a few days of getting my FC-12.

Of course, I was also privileged to have been a proofreader for the Footswitch Functions Guide before the FCs were released so I was very familiar with the possibilities :)

I just got my first FA product last Monday, and spent the first 3 days learning and creating a custome layout, before I started loading in a bunch of stuff, and so glad I did. When buying a preset I cant stand how all these makers want you to use their layout, as there is no consistency even in which layout pages they overwrite and it screws everything up. It would be nice if FA gave us the ability to have some more layout files to save on the unit rather than having to always overwrite the default. Its obviously possible since they put their OFM9G layout on there too.

I'm kind of the opposite... I think I created custom layouts within a few days of getting my FC-12.

Of course, I was also privileged to have been a proofreader for the Footswitch Functions Guide before the FCs were released so I was very familiar with the possibilities :)
Me too. I got my FM9 on last Monday, and after getting frustrated how a few presets I downloaded decimated the OFM9G Layout, learned how to make my own. I spent about 3 days on it but now know the unit so much better and setting up Layout Tools like adjusting levels with your feet. I wish preset makers would use standardized formats when selling a preset, instead of thinking their custom layout is the best and that you are not ever going to use other presets along with theirs.

I'll share an idea I use on my FC-6:

I typically use different presets for my Tele, Strat and PRS. I group presets for a given guitar together (assigning them consecutive preset numbers) and reserve a block of 16 presets for each of these three groups. I assign the hold function of 3 switches on my Presets layout to load the first preset of each of these blocks/groups. When I pick up my Strat I go to the Presets layout, hold down the "Strat" switch. This loads the lowest preset number in this "Strat" group and then I can use the tap function to select a preset from that bank (I have banks of 4) or use the Bank Up switch to access the next bank of Strat presets. I don't have a ton of presets, but I like to group them so I don't have to scroll through all of them to find the one I want.

Last edited:
I use the per preset overrides liberally, but its a mess when the preset is first opened, especially when they use the other pages for whatever. My OCD kicks in and I have to get it all fixed before picking up the guitar...

Is there any way to export the entire per-preset assignments from one preset to another if all the effects are the same? For example, if I have 2 Presets for different guitars. Is copying and pasting each assignment one by one the only way to transfer them?

Last edited:
Custom layouts and per preset overrides are really powerful features. Fractal has the best foot control of all the players in the modeling market.

Custom layouts and per preset overrides are really powerful features. Fractal has the best foot control of all the players in the modeling market.
Agree, but they need to overcome the switch label and LED Light issues when using the hold portion of the switch - It is hard to track what is active when using a combination of those two. I see onto the External FC controllers that info is clearly displayed on the main menu, but on the FM9 it is small. I did increase the time that mesaage is dispayed on the main screen to the max, which is like 5 seconds, which does help, but more customization with names ,especially for channel switching would be great.

Last edited:
Agree, but they need to overcome the switch label and LED Light issues when using the hold portion of the switch - It is hard to track what is active when using a combination of those two.
This has been discussed many times...

There are not really any good options for that.

The best choice is to use Hold functions for things that don't require a visual indicator.

Back
Top Bottom