iTunes playlist thru my FM9

rnjscooter

Power User
Hey everyone, I am sure I am being dumb and this is child splay for mist of you. My Axe3 in my studio I have things running thru my focusrite.

I just built my FM9 rig and I am trying to figure out how to run iTunes from my laptop into my FM9 and somehow monitor it via in ears, either from an FM9 output or from the headphone output, or.....

I just cant for the life of me figure out if it's possible. Ive had my iTunes running in the background for hours and the ears next to me so I would hear them if I hit the right setting, but nothing.

I did too many drugs in the 80s....

Hey everyone, I am sure I am being dumb and this is child splay for mist of you. My Axe3 in my studio I have things running thru my focusrite.

I just built my FM9 rig and I am trying to figure out how to run iTunes from my laptop into my FM9 and somehow monitor it via in ears, either from an FM9 output or from the headphone output, or.....

I just cant for the life of me figure out if it's possible. Ive had my iTunes running in the background for hours and the ears next to me so I would hear them if I hit the right setting, but nothing.

I did too many drugs in the 80s....

Yes, it's possible. Go to System Preferences -> Sound and choose FM9 for output.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

So, I decided, hell lets fire up logic on my laptop. And decided to try and monitor from my laptop, still nothing....

Maybe I should just crash and pick it up again in the morn lol

The manual, the manual …

Section 3 in the manual describes how the computer’s audio is processed over USB in the modeler, and how the modeler sends audio to the computer.

On a Mac, simply point your speaker output to the FM9 and the sound will be sent to the FM9. If you have headphones plugged into the FM9 the sound will mix with the guitar’s signal into them. The same applies to speakers on Out 1.

The manual, the manual …

Section 3 in the manual describes how the computer’s audio is processed over USB in the modeler, and how the modeler sends audio to the computer.

On a Mac, simply point your speaker output to the FM9 and the sound will be sent to the FM9. If you have headphones plugged into the FM9 the sound will mix with the guitar’s signal into them. The same applies to speakers on Out 1.
Thank you Greg. I read and read and read. Finally, something I have never EVER done, I had to find the meters page as the only way I know to see it is on the device itself, not in FM9 edit, or so I think... There I saw signal. I spent then 10 minutes wondering why I cant hear it. Why would I ever think to turn up output 1, ugh... I mean thats exactly what I do on my Axe3 into my Focusrite.

So in the end, as I stated in my opening statements, I am doing something stupid...... And the stupid was that I was simply not turning up output 1.....

Sorry everyone..........

Thank you Greg. I read and read and read. Finally, something I have never EVER done, I had to find the meters page as the only way I know to see it is on the device itself, not in FM9 edit, or so I think... There I saw signal. I spent then 10 minutes wondering why I cant hear it. Why would I ever think to turn up output 1, ugh... I mean thats exactly what I do on my Axe3 into my Focusrite.

So in the end, as I stated in my opening statements, I am doing something stupid...... And the stupid was that I was simply not turning up output 1.....

Sorry everyone..........
No problem. We ALL have had our moments.

I confess to having plugged my guitar into the headphone output jack and the headphones into the Input 1 on the FM3 some number more than two times, and, each time, wondered why I got no sound, started tearing apart the preset… but now I am somewhat more circumspect and go to make tea before I rip everything apart. And that’s just working with that one unit. I have two other models that I’ve done other things with. :)

No problem. We ALL have had our moments.

I confess to having plugged my guitar into the headphone output jack and the headphones into the Input 1 on the FM3 some number more than two times, and, each time, wondered why I got no sound, started tearing apart the preset… but now I am somewhat more circumspect and go to make tea before I rip everything apart. And that’s just working with that one unit. I have two other models that I’ve done other things with. :)
It opened up another can of worms tho. I have owned, the AXE2, AXE3, AX8, FM3 and FM9, and for the past close to a decade always always always used OUT1 feed to my ams with no CAB block, and OUT2 to FOH as well as my Focusrite. In this scenario where monitoring from the FM9 itself the OUT1 concept wasn't sounding good as obviously I have no CAB block. I guess I will need to make a "Jam" preset that works for me when I am lazy and just wanna use the FM9 as my audio interface. I dont think there is a way of changing the FM9's USB out from 1 to 2?

Also, I had to crank the output block AND EQ block in OUT3 to my IEMs to get enough volume but stumbled across the ability to boost OUT3 in my global menu. Will be trying that in a few hours, it may alleviate that issue. Thanks again @Greg Ferguson, @unix-guy, and @GlennO !

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 9.45.26 PM.png

Yeah what threw me off at first is that the Headphone Output is only available for the Output 1 , which I am used to having a separate volume adjustment just for headphones. The only way I see getting away with it is to have both and Output 1 and Output 2 in the patch, which I rather not have since I am always fighting CPU limits and cannot spare the little extra DSP it would use.

Yeah what threw me off at first is that the Headphone Output is only available for the Output 1 , which I am used to having a separate volume adjustment just for headphones. The only way I see getting away with it is to have both and Output 1 and Output 2 in the patch, which I rather not have since I am always fighting CPU limits and cannot spare the little extra DSP it would use.
or just do what I did and save the presets to a new location for headphone jamming only

Set Output 2 to Copy Output 1.

No additional block or CPU increase required.

Back
Top Bottom