It's finally time to say goodbye to my pedals.

So, best suggestion for easily dumping my pedals on the market? I can take to Guitar Center but I don't think will be best price. Reverb? Craig's List? Facebook Marketplace? Wondering, as I have a number of pedals that I will no longer be using.

I posted 12 pedals to Reverb right after I made this post. Within 3 hours, 8 of them had sold. Within 24 hours I sold all but one.

I offer free shipping and post a fair market price, unlike a lot of the gear you see on that site. So after Reverb fees and shipping costs I ate about a 20% overall loss from what I originally paid for all of them combined. But I also moved pretty much everything within a day. You could probably get more for each pedal on FB Marketplace but it'll likely take longer to sell.

I still have some tube amps, and one has no reverb, so I hang on to the TC HoF for that.

Otherwise, I keep a couple Boss pedals I modded myself over the years and a Fulltone Plimsoul to drive said tube amps.

The AF3 really is a gear endgame. I haven't watched a pedal or amp demo in over a year now. Zero interest.
If it can be done, the AF3 does it, and does it better.

The beauty is that all that money can be redirected into guitars!
That's awesome. I haven't treated myself to a new main guitar in at least a decade (not counting cheap wall candy I snag from CL). I've been rocking a Warmoth super strat for the longest time. No complaints though.
I've been eyeing the matte black Ibanez AZ2402 for a year or so now... someday I'll own it.

I was going to get rid of my pedals and amp too, but quite honestly, I'd rather still have a backup rig for all of my gigs in case something happens to the AXE fx down the line. (Whether it falls, shorts out, stolen etc.)

Not sure I get this. If you sell all the pedals, and get a FM3 as a backup, you'd still come out in the pink.

I recently put together a pedalboard for my tube amp rig, the "B rig,” specifically because the Axe-Fx taught me how fun effects can be, hah. Before the Axe I was pretty much 100% a guitar-straight-into-amp kinda guy.

I really dig the board I built, but I have to say...

I had absolutely no idea how spoiled we all are with the effects in the Axe-Fx. Every single effect in the Axe is nothing less than top-of-the-industry in both tone and adjustability. Each effect in the Axe is at least as good as the pedals in the board I just built, and it wasn’t a cheap board. Not to mention that in the Axe, you don't have to worry about powering, noise-isolating, cabling, tap dancing, troubleshooting problems, or buffering.

Last edited:
<snip>

I really dig the board I built, but I have to say...

I had absolutely no idea how spoiled we all are with the effects in the Axe-Fx. Every single effect in the Axe is nothing less than top-of-the-industry in both tone and adjustability. Each effect in the Axe is at least as good as the pedals in the board I just built. Not to mention that in the Axe, you don't have to worry about powering, noise-isolating, cabling, troubleshooting problems, or buffering effects.
Funny really, for a long time a lot of us thought of Fractal as a properly "uber" rack multi-fx - I guess because so many great well-known guitar players were using an Axe FX in front of and/or in the FX loop of tube amps. That was never quite enough to push me over the edge to actually buy a unit, but some time around 2015/16 news was on the wind that the amp modelling was really starting to come of age, helped a lot by good FRFR speaker developments. Looking back, the competitive environment with Kemper, Line 6, Yamaha, Boss and all the PC/Mac based models and profilers was a really good thing from a guitarist's point of view. Everything got better, but Fractal got betterer, especially recently, and they ALWAYS seem to have the best effects.

5 years on it feels like everyone knows Fractal have the most incredible tube amp and speaker simulations, but are less aware that what were once incredibly sophisticated effects and modulations, especially time and pitch based, have become everything anyone could probably need for drive, overdrive and fuzz as well. Cygnus, for me at least, finally seems to nail the interaction between effect models and amplifier models in a way that previous firmwares never quite achieved. I have to remind myself that it was great, totally usable in a live environment back in 2016, but progress has been good to say the least, I think amazing.

In fact it's all getting so good that for the last few months my biggest frustration is that I don't have a better "listening room" environment to be able to catch all the subtleties, let alone young enough ears to hear all the frequencies. I'm in the middle of curing that by having a proper home studio built, and while I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my old Axe FX II, given how redundant it seems compared to the Axe FX III with Cygnus, I might just keep it as outboard for the studio. It would be worth it just for the reverbs and delays, but it does a whole lot more than that extremely well.

Spoiled? I agree so completely that for me that's a bit of an understatement. An Axe FX III is a bargain just for its effects capabilities. Throw in the amp modelling, IR handling, and general all round switching and routing functionality, and it is kind of impossible to think of anything that does more for less investment.

Liam

I still use some pedals with the axe that I won’t sold : ehx polychorus and small clone whammy , wha , big muffs Russian and us
I still have a Small Clone (might even still have a very original but battered Small Stone) and an early Russian (comedic big pedal that switches when you lift instead of press) Big Muff Pi that I never tried in quite a while. I have loved all of these, but dismantled my existing home studio this morning. Let's hope the control room in the new one is ready to go in the next couple of weeks - I'll try to find time to see if there's something they can do that the Axe FX III cannot. You definitely got my interest, because until now, it has just been Boss BD-2 and Klon that I really missed, although Ibanez TS's never sounded quite as good before Cygnus. I still have a bunch of TS-10s, mainly because I want to see what crazy price a mint one in original box might sell for, but my original (heavily modded) favourite TS-10 will probably have to wait until after I pass on; it would feel like losing a limb.

Wah... Now there's a thing I haven't revisited in a little while. Might see what I've still got, I did a home shootout a few years back. Fulltone Clyde Deluxe was good, 80's Dunlop Jen "Cry Baby" clone was better (like, ...really better), but best of all was a crappy plastic bodied JHS thing that I probably bought around 1988. Sold the Clyde I think, but will still have the others and more. So much about wah is in the pedal and pot action; I must get a shorter throw controller one of these days. I think the Axe FX III can handle everything else, but the EV-1 is no wah pedal (unless you are a Morley fan).

Liam

Don't sell it off. You'll regret it. I did exactly that after I bought my Axe Fx standard. Thought I'd never use pedals again. Or amps for that matter. I bought them all back for more money :(

I love both. Don't choose one, choose both.

This. One doesn't have to replace the other and they are different.

My former minibar-sized Hernia Factory custom rack full of studio gear (1/3 of whose weight I’m convinced was cables…) has been distilled down to my AFX3 and an RJM GT-16. Not only do all of my “pedals” now talk properly to each other ALL OF THE TIME, I can actually tell which buttons I’m pressing — and my chiropractor bills have been rededicated to nicer guitars.

My former minibar-sized Hernia Factory custom rack full of studio gear (1/3 of whose weight I’m convinced was cables…) has been distilled down to my AFX3 and an RJM GT-16. Not only do all of my “pedals” now talk properly to each other ALL OF THE TIME, I can actually tell which buttons I’m pressing — and my chiropractor bills have been rededicated to nicer guitars.
I need to sift through my stomps and see what can be turned into $$$$. There's a couple keepers, but most have languished in a drawer for a loooooong time....

I kept a small 7 pedal board because I still like to play through an amp every so often. I use Fractal 95% of the time practice, writing, recording, live. It’s just too easy.

Sold half my pedals to buy an fx8. Sold my tour rig when i left the band, mostly to pay band bills. Only kept my expression pedal. Cant say I've missed any.

I usually reply to these types of threads and the good news is my list is getting smaller.

Freqout, and a few glitch/stutter pedals are all I really need. I do have an Instant Lo-Fi Junky on my board atm but that’s cause I’m too lazy to recreate it.

I still have a few pedals in a box somewhere deep in the garage, but they haven't even been plugged in since the mid-80s. Just checking on Reverb, it looks like the original late-70s Roland OD-1 overdrive, MXR Distortion II, and MXR 6-band Graphic EQ still have some resale value. Maybe it's time I boxed them up and sold them to someone who'd use them.

Back
Top Bottom