It's finally time to say goodbye to my pedals.

I'm coming up on a month of owning the AxeIII. My pedalboard has gone from being plugged in and ready by my feet under my desk, to it's current location crammed in the corner of my closet.

I spent a long time and a lot of money curating this pedalboard. I still love looking at it. There's just something so appealing about a well put together board and looking at all the great craftsmanship put into each pedal. Part of me wants to keep them, but the other part of me realizes it's a massive waste to have ~$2k just going unused, gathering dust in my closet.

I try to justify keeping some, but the Fractal easily replicates every single one of these pedals. I for sure thought the Dimension C would be special. But nah, Fractal easily scratches that itch. Surely there's no way the Fractal could replace my Freeze though, right? Nah, wrong. What about the Strymon Big Sky shimmer effe-- wrong. There's literally nothing special about my board that I can't achieve now.

I'll be plopping these bad boys on reverb/CL to be enjoyed by their next player, eventually funding my FC12 purchase. I'm sure similar stories have been shared here before, but I thought I'd post my take. I'm downright in love with my Fractal, but it's certainly a bittersweet moment as I sit here taking apart my once cherished board.

For the sake of discussion, did anyone here hang onto some special pedals? Do they get any love or are they mostly decoration in your studio space? I'm certainly guilty of taking the Leon Todd route and hoarding guitars mostly to just hang on my wall.

I was going to get rid of my pedals and amp too, but quite honestly, I'd rather still have a backup rig for all of my gigs in case something happens to the AXE fx down the line. (Whether it falls, shorts out, stolen etc.)

FAS cured my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

It however increased my other GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome)

Honestly, it's only after Fractal did I appreciate each tele being different, each strat, each oddball offering from random Luthiers and manufacturers....each different guitar sounds and responds differently with the Axe-Fx and it has made me accumulate quite the 🎸collection!

I have my Freqout dual locked in my rack case on the bracket my wireless is mounted to. It's ran in input 3, I just click the button with my finger when I power up the rack case. I use it one specific way, so it always is set the same. I haven't had any success getting what it does any other way.

Beyond that, all my Strymon stuff, the drives, even my Drop, were all replicated inside the Axe3.

I'm selling pedals in order to grab an FM3 for shows and to use the AF3 for studio/backup. The only pedals I'm holding on to is the Electroharmonix B3 Organ pedal (the axe can't do that yet) and my Boss SY300 (axe can't do that yet either.) Every other pedal I've heard I could begin thinking of a way to emulate it. Such a huge savings.

So, best suggestion for easily dumping my pedals on the market? I can take to Guitar Center but I don't think will be best price. Reverb? Craig's List? Facebook Marketplace? Wondering, as I have a number of pedals that I will no longer be using.

You got there faster than most of us!

When I got my Axe Fx II back in 2013, I made a deal with my wife:

I'll buy this and you give me 6 months. Either I keep it and sell off my "B" rig (the slightly smaller home version of my playing rig) or I will sell the Axe Fx.

I kept my word - at 6 months everything from the B rig was up for sale.

I still have a bunch of my A rig. It's in boxes and cases and pretty much completely untouched since 2013.

I do plan to sell off the pedals... Just been lazy, and a couple are "special" but they just collect dust!

So, best suggestion for easily dumping my pedals on the market? I can take to Guitar Center but I don't think will be best price. Reverb? Craig's List? Facebook Marketplace? Wondering, as I have a number of pedals that I will no longer be using.
Probably depends a little on where you live. I started with FB Marketplace and sold probably 3/14 or so. That was nice with no fees. Craigslist was about the same, and still no fees.
the remaining less popular pedals went on eBay since Reverb had upped their fee a little. But I sold them all and haven’t looked back.

Did the same with my amps when I got the AxeFX II. Sold most, kept the ones that had sentimental value or the ones that would give me bragging rights

I'll buy this and you give me 6 months. Either I keep it and sell off my "B" rig (the slightly smaller home version of my playing rig) or I will sell the Axe Fx.

I still have a bunch of my A rig. It's in boxes and cases and pretty much completely untouched since 2013.

I do plan to sell off the pedals... Just been lazy, and a couple are "special" but they just collect dust!
You can’t sell that Nobels ODR-1 just yet…

<snip>

For the sake of discussion, did anyone here hang onto some special pedals? Do they get any love or are they mostly decoration in your studio space? I'm certainly guilty of taking the Leon Todd route and hoarding guitars mostly to just hang on my wall.

I've kept a few, either because they are hard to replicate and I want them as a reference (less so nowadays), or because they are likely to carry on appreciating in value for a while, or because I have had them for so very long it would break my heart to see them go. I hardly ever even look at them nowadays. The only ones that I haven't really been able to replicate in the Axe FX III yet are Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, and my home built (and very close sounding) Klon clone. I struggled for a long time getting EH Deluxe Electric Mistresses just right in my AFX II, but Cliff has nailed this one a while back now (still kept a '78 NYC version, I can't see it going down in value). Also struggled to get Colorsound Supa Tonebender tones until someone pointed out that if my starting point was an early Big Muff Pi model I'd have more luck. They were right.

Going to guess I sold 10 or so, but still have 30 (ish) that can start going on Ebay on rainy days. Haven't counted. GigRig switching system went around the time I got an MFC-101 to go with my Axe II. I also have issues with guitar ownership, but they all live in cases for safety. And I'd have to dust them if they were on the studio wall.

Liam

You can’t sell that Nobels ODR-1 just yet…
That's one of 3 I was specifically thinking about! :)

The other 2 are an early Barber Direct Drive - hand built and hand labelled. Inexpensive ($99 back then) and sounds great...

The other is very early Rodenberg GAS-828 (also hand labelled).

Still keeping specialized pieces that can be modelled but require significant cpu resources so the pedals are convenient in that respect.
  • TC Mimiq.
  • Digitech Freqout.
  • Digitech Mosaic.

A couple of other keepers that have some different character in them that I like.
  • Eventide H9
  • Line6 M5
  • Source Audio Nemesis Delay.

I still pine for a Revv G3 pedal (purple one) - Maybe Fractal will model it (or the related amp) soon and save me $300 - (wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more).

Haha! I love this post so much.

Did you ever tell her about the C and D rigs??? ;)

Haha! I love this post so much.

Did you ever tell her about the C and D rigs??? ;)
Too much maintenance for more than 2!

I had rack drawers with pedals controlled via GCX loop switcher, rack mounted multi-effects (TC G-Major 2), rack mounted Budda head, Midi controller, etc...

But she knows the number of guitars I have better than I do :)

I think after 30+ years she's catching on, though!

I still have some tube amps, and one has no reverb, so I hang on to the TC HoF for that.

Otherwise, I keep a couple Boss pedals I modded myself over the years and a Fulltone Plimsoul to drive said tube amps.

The AF3 really is a gear endgame. I haven't watched a pedal or amp demo in over a year now. Zero interest.
If it can be done, the AF3 does it, and does it better.

The beauty is that all that money can be redirected into guitars!

Back
Top Bottom