It's Complicated. Then, OFM9G.

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Ever since first receiving my FM9, I was intrigued by the variety of layout possibilities. And then it got complicated by my re-working almost every single layout to my personal preferences. Thing got complicated, for sure. My layouts were so far from factory that you'd need a roadmap to find your way home again.

This evening, I was watching some YouTube and chanced upon Cooper Carter's not-so-recent video about setting up your FM9 with the OFM9G configuration. I thought, "I'll give it a try and see what happens."

Well, about an hour later, I've got a much more simplified configuration for my FM9, that allows scenes to be displayed when the preset switches are tapped, and does away with the Scenes switch altogether and substitutes a Tuner function.

The only significant modification was shifting my user presets up one preset number from the factory presets (#386 is the starting position) and re-working the scenes switch in each layout and replacing with a tuner function. Bank +1/-1 are separate within the preset layout, but each subsequent layout has a preset which returns you to the preset you we're working with previously.

I can now use both of my external stand-in switches for functions other than tuner and whatever my other stand-in switch is doing.

Although I'm not quite finished with setting up effects, tomorrow looks promising and may be a good day to build my effect layouts to what works best case scenario.

I encourage you guys if you've strayed a little too far from "simple" and into the "it's complicated" region. TBH, it's much easier to see how the OFM9G config works once you've got it installed and have tweaked a few things to make it your own.

Often people immediately jump to creating their own layouts without having studied something like OMG9 or OFM9G, and miss how elegant and powerful the layout navigation can be.
Like many enthusiasts who can't wait to try their FM9s, I, too, was taken with the ability to swap and modify layouts to whatever preference one chose.

Yet, regards the OFM9G, that is exactly how OFM9G is, simple, elegant and powerful. The extra SCENES toggle can be eliminated once you use the 'Edit Links' feature in FC Edit.

The only thing that was time consuming (not that bad, though) was saving my user presets up a preset number notch so the banks would correspond to the user presets. It is also nice that the presets are now displayed in a bank of 5, instead of my former 3.

What remains to be seen is increasing the number of scenes used with each preset. Currently, there are 4, with room for 4 additional.

Not sure what to do yet with my PER PRESET and SONG SELECTION layouts, though. Will need to read up on that and see if either layout would prove beneficial, rather than rely on presets and scenes solely...

Per-Presets are very powerful.

I use them instead of the Effects layout because the effect blocks change order or might not even exist in a particular preset. I’ll define the Per-Presets in the order I want them to appear, and only the ones I need appear when I switch to that layout.

Other people might define them as overrides on the Effects layout, but I dislike adding that extra step.

I didn't think I would like the OFM9G (a little too flexible, requiring the extra stomp to get into the different modes), but I love it.

As CC had said in his videos, you can assign the individual preset buttons to switch to SCENES within the FC Edit > 'Edit Links' feature. Saves space on your FM9 and allows you to switch between your scenes and previous preset when you tap preset again.

I think OFM9G is where I started tweaking to get to my setup. Lots of good tricks in there....
Yup. From Day One, the standard config resided on my FM9. Then, one discovers the joy of OFM9G. It's really simplistic and utilizes most all of what gigging guitarists might ever need. The standard config is great for experimenting, but as was said, you can stray pretty far from what the original form was and find yourself on the dark side with cookies.

+1 on the move to OFM9G.
I'm on my 3rd week with my FM9. This configuration is easier to use, when playing "live".
Tomorrow night will be my first time out, playing my FM9 at a recovery service.
I've got a full band behind me, and have two Scenes that I plan to use.

I think OFM9G is where I started tweaking to get to my setup. Lots of good tricks in there....
I tore apart OMG9 and made a version on the FM9 then tore apart OFM9G and bent it to my will further.

I think that’s the whole point of the factory layouts, they’re not supposed to be the final version, they’re good enough to get us started and be functional and we can fine tune from that point.

I tore apart OMG9 and made a version on the FM9 then tore apart OFM9G and bent it to my will further.

I think that’s the whole point of the factory layouts, they’re not supposed to be the final version, they’re good enough to get us started and be functional and we can fine tune from that point.
I like that folks like LT & CC have meticulously studied the FM9 and offered suggestions for us consumers that help streamline and simplify workflow. Their having our backs makes it that much easier to work with the FM9, instead of plowing headlong into what might typically be messy and complicated.

Don't get me wrong, there are ways of making your FM9 yours that are messy and complicated. I'm just getting older and personally prefer the Tony Randall neat-freak approach regards keeping things simple and easy to work with.

Thanks for pointing me to this! Cuts out a step, which is always good. Like many I have a kitchen sink preset that I use most of the night, and depending on the band and setlist, maybe 2-3 specific song presets and/or half- and whole-step down.

Thanks for pointing me to this! Cuts out a step, which is always good. Like many I have a kitchen sink preset that I use most of the night, and depending on the band and setlist, maybe 2-3 specific song presets and/or half- and whole-step down.
Thank Cooper Carter for his good instructional videos! It was there I happened to realize what CC was doing to simplify his workflow, so I thought why not give it a try? And since the good results outweighed the negative (were there any?), I decided to stay with it...LOL...

Somewhere along these lines I'll determine how to work with Per-Preset and Songlist layouts. Maybe not immediately, but soon...

(Will ask the powers that be for some directive guidance in this...)

Question
Is there an easy way to have the OMG 9 set up from the FM3 +6
One the FM9
I really like having Preset Scenes and FX on the far left 3 buttons
And then layouts displaying on the right top bottom same as it was in the FM3 /FC6 combo

Question
Is there an easy way to have the OMG 9 set up from the FM3 +6
One the FM9
I really like having Preset Scenes and FX on the far left 3 buttons
And then layouts displaying on the right top bottom same as it was in the FM3 /FC6 combo
go lookup the cooper carter video showing how to load it on the fm9 in the setup menu page right 3 times and scroll down. something like that.. its already built in , just needs to be loaded

go lookup the cooper carter video showing how to load it on the fm9 in the setup menu page right 3 times and scroll down. something like that.. its already built in , just needs to be loaded
I am looking not for the FM9 version
But the layout that the FM3 + FC6 had its a little different but I think I prefer it

I think you have to build that layout, but should be easy enough since the functions already exist as OFM9G, just remap the switches.

I think you have to build that layout, but should be easy enough since the functions already exist as OFM9G, just remap the switches.
OMG9 is built into the FM3, as OFM9G is built into the FM9. Follow the steps on p. 71 in the FM3 manual or p. 106 in the FM9 manual.

OMG9 is built into the FM3, as OFM9G is built into the FM9. Follow the steps on p. 71 in the FM3 manual or p. 106 in the FM9 manual.
Ok thank you so I just have to rebuild that config w the layout links
And assign the them to different switches. ON FM9 basically copy the presets scenes fx from top row and move those 3 functions to the far left bottom row
And I build this custom layout in the perform layout correct ?

Back
Top Bottom