"It's all the Fractal..."

tguitar

Inspired
So last night I played a gig at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park NJ with local artist Christine Martucci. For those of you who are not familiar, The Pony is a kinda legendary club here in NJ where Springsteen got his start and all of the Jersey acts - Bon Jovi, Skid Row, Southside Johnny etc have played/gotten their start there. The setlist consisted of everything from Tucci's originals (country/rock type stuff - chicken pickin' to heavier riff based tunes) to some Tina Turner (What You Get Is What You See, Nutbush City Limits, River Deep, Mountain High) to U2 (All I Want Is You/Streets) to Janice (Piece Of My Heart). So suffice it to say, it was a pretty diverse night style - wise. The II is incredible for ANY tone I need for ANY tune ANYtime.

The preset I used was based off of one I used with my cover band - a USA Clean and IIC+ with varying degrees of IIC+ gain levels. I run out 1 with the stock OH recto cab sim (last in the chain) direct to FOH and out 2 (placed right before the cab sim) to my 2:90 (with my TriAxis as a backup until I can get a spare II) into my recto cab. The stage was outdoors and my rig was located about 20-25 feet back from stage front with the mics so there was really no bleed from my rig. Monitors and FOH was ALL Fractal. During sound check, I just had my backline cranked up a bit and had nothing in my monitor but the rest of the band had it their mix. After check and before we hit the stage, I asked for a bit of my guitar in my monitor. Well, he put it there - cranked!!!

During the show, I moved back and forth from the front of the stage back toward my backline. The tone coming from the monitor mix was CRUSHING!!! I believe the monitors were JBLs and they/the mix flat out KILLED my 2:90 and cab.

The moral of the story is that my back is screaming at me to sell the rest of my heavy ass gear and buy a spare II and good powered monitor cause it sounds better than my power amp and 4x12 cab anyway.

After our performance, the soundguys and various members of the band going on after us kept telling me how awesome my guitar tone was. I just kept saying for the rest of the night "It's all the Fractal..."

Good stuff! This is exactly how I've got my rig configured. Axe with recto cab IR to FOH, FX send to backline with real recto cab. I like the balance between a wedge in front of me and cab behind. I know it's tempting, but I wouldn't change a thing about that rig of yours. Yeah, it's nice to know that the Axe can take over completely if the 2:90 goes down. But it's also nice to have options. And backup in the TriAxis.

Good stuff! This is exactly how I've got my rig configured. Axe with recto cab IR to FOH, FX send to backline with real recto cab. I like the balance between a wedge in front of me and cab behind. I know it's tempting, but I wouldn't change a thing about that rig of yours. Yeah, it's nice to know that the Axe can take over completely if the 2:90 goes down. But it's also nice to have options. And backup in the TriAxis.

+1

I don't often set it up this way because I prefer portability.
But the combo of a FRFR wedge (CLR) in front, plus power amp + guitar cab behind me, is my holy grail of stage monitoring.

It all comes down to that the Axe is amazing for whatever you need it. Works in any application.

If you like FRFR = works
If you like amp+cab = works
Amp+FRFR = works
Direct in studio = works
Mic´d in studio = works
Mic´d FRFR = works

Fractal Audio will stay. Axe II, Axe III, Axe IV etc may come, guitars and monitors/cab´s will change, but Fractal Audio will stay in my rig.

Honestly, I know big guitar cabs behind us is the way we are all used to playing rigs, but I think Fractal should do its best to move people's thinking of this as a good rig setup. The axefx is stellar at producing all the tone by itself, you are only hurting it (IMO) by running it into a speaker cab.

FRFR all the way. Its not only going to sound better, but its a 1:1 to what the audience is hearing from your rig. Not to mention the complete elimination of any stage bleed.

Glad it worked out for you! Go sell your cabs and get a pair of top-end JBL monitors. You'll be in heaven.

Back
Top Bottom