Issue with DI

Pbuchinger

Hey Guys,

I just picked up the FM3. I’m having an issue with recording the DI along with the wet guitar signal. I am going USB to the computer and using Logic Pro X as my DAW. I set the wet signal as Input 1 in Logic and the dry DI signal as Input 3. I arm both tracks and record at the same time. The wet signal sounds/looks fine, but the DI signal is roughly 30db lower and barely audible. Moreover, I can’t make out the waveform.. it just looks flat (even zoomed in). I understand I can apply gain to boost the sound of the DI signal, but I’m concerned it won’t sound good when reamping. More importantly, I rely primarily on the DI when editing as the waveform is easier to dissect.

Does anyone know why this might be happening or have any solutions to fix this?

Help is greatly appreciated!!

Pierce

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I am interested. I'll be doing the same thing this weekend and I am a brand new FM3 user. Hope you get a solution soon.

The dry DI signal is simply the signal that arrives at the input jack from your guitar so that’s necessarily the correct level for reamping. The level difference between the wet and dry will depend on how much gain you apply in your preset. In other words, if you change the level of your DI, then the preset will no longer sound the same as when you play your guitar through the FM3. Have you tried reamping it to see if it sounds ok?

The DI volume will depend on what's coming from your guitar. If you have weak output pickups it will record that. If you have hot output active pickups it will be a stronger signal. Reamp it and see if it sounds the same as you playing the guitar. It should :)

The sound of your guitar unamplified is always quieter than the sound of your guitar when it’s amplified. ;)

The dry DI signal is simply the signal that arrives at the input jack from your guitar so that’s necessarily the correct level for reamping. The level difference between the wet and dry will depend on how much gain you apply in your preset. In other words, if you change the level of your DI, then the preset will no longer sound the same as when you play your guitar through the FM3. Have you tried reamping it to see if it sounds ok?
Hi Glenn. This is an 3 years old post. But I am facing the same problem. I expected the dry signal would be much weaker then the wet signal. However it is incredibly low. I can’t see it in the track, even zooming. I would like to use the DI not only for reamping but also to see the transient for editing the wet signal. I watched many YouTube videos and the DI signal appears clearly. Do you think it is an output or usb setup I should do in the FM3 or an setup in Logic Pro?

Hey Guys,

I just picked up the FM3. I’m having an issue with recording the DI along with the wet guitar signal. I am going USB to the computer and using Logic Pro X as my DAW. I set the wet signal as Input 1 in Logic and the dry DI signal as Input 3. I arm both tracks and record at the same time. The wet signal sounds/looks fine, but the DI signal is roughly 30db lower and barely audible. Moreover, I can’t make out the waveform.. it just looks flat (even zoomed in). I understand I can apply gain to boost the sound of the DI signal, but I’m concerned it won’t sound good when reamping. More importantly, I rely primarily on the DI when editing as the waveform is easier to dissect.

Does anyone know why this might be happening or have any solutions to fix this?

Help is greatly appreciated!!

Pierce
Hi Pierce. I have exactly the same problem. Why DI signal is so weak and we can’t see it? Did tou find the answer? I also ask the samething to Glenn here.

It sounds to me like you're jumping to a conclusion that something is wrong, when in fact there is nothing wrong Follow my advice above if you suspect something is wrong.
It sounds to me like you're jumping to a conclusion that something is wrong, when in fact there is nothing wrong Follow my advice above if you suspect something is wrong. :)
😄. Yes. Even the reamping sounding good. I thought something was wrong. Thank you Glenn.

Back
Top Bottom