Iso track

A lot of the isolated guitar/bass/drum/vocal tracks on Youtube come from Guitar Hero or Rock Band,
but as far as I know, Ramble On hasn't been in any of those games.
My guess is that they are using the original mixes.

No idea. Found it on another board and thought I'd share it. Sure sounds realistic, but you never know.

Who knows... There may be a slight resurgence of Guitar Hero and Rock Band with the knew technology. I imagine those isolated tracks would be pretty decent.

There are multitrack stems for "Ramble On", "What is and Should Never Be", "Whole Lotta Love", and, "Heartbreaker" floating around. A little Googling and you should be able to find them, and with the bonus of no YouTube added compression. For obvious reasons I'm not going to give direct links, but they are not hard to find.

...that and taking Bonham, Jones and Plant out pretty much neuters it.

I think it was the Edge that commented in that documentary (with Page actually) about the dirty little secret of Rock: taking very simple figures and making them sound huge with the right signal chain. (I'm paraphrasing...)

Truth be told, I haven't come across to many iso tracks that actually sound really good alone.

...that and taking Bonham, Jones and Plant out pretty much neuters it.

I think it was the Edge that commented in that documentary (with Page actually) about the dirty little secret of Rock: taking very simple figures and making them sound huge with the right signal chain. (I'm paraphrasing...)

Well, there is that aspect, but IMO the recording is really just capturing the essence of what the Bohnam/Page/JPJ were laying down. Performance and live takes in recording were what ruled the day in that era (warts and all). Forget about the engineering at that point. It only needs to just get the f#ck out of the way and let the stars shine!

How refreshing is that, compared to all of the overprocessed, overproduced, over quantized stuff out there now? Those old recordings are kind of sloppy, loose, relatively low tech, but man do they have a really special charm to them and an incredible feel. I love it!

endgroove said:
And therein lies the rub of this notion of the "tone quest".

So much of what we think sounds like amazing guitar is really amazing engineering...

Yes!

This is more true than most realize. You ISO guitar tracks and wonder where the magic is. then combine all instruments with a great vintage stereo compressor and it all gels and sounds huge and big.

I once heard, at Dweezilla, an ISO of a nasty fuzz guitar track on off all things a Jackson 5 song. Guitar sounded horrible,dreadful. But the song without that guitar in it lost its punch and the blend of that tone, only conspicuous by its absence, made the tune. Taught me a lesson

Conversely, some amazing guitar tones in ISO with big bottom or top end sound like crap in band setting, conflicting with bass and cymbals/snare.

One reason I love the Axe II so much is I can tweak and PEQ to make stuff sit in a mix, handy when you do 2-3 simultaneous guitar parts you don't want clashing but staying separate.

If you have an iPhone there is a great app called Jammit - it consists of a collection of studio master recordings, you can set it so you can hear only the isolated guitar track! Can't wait to try this on 6.0!!

Back
Top Bottom