ISO "I'm The Only One" electric guitar tone

SJonesofva

Inspired
Hi,

I am interested in finding or crafting a preset that sounds like the guitar tone on the song I'm The Only One by Melissa Etheridge. In my case I'd be playing a guitar with humbuckers. As a reminder of the tone, here is a YouTube music video of the song:

I don't know if the tone is driven by the amp this guy is using, or a distortion box, or both. So far I haven't found a factory preset that is close. If you can listen to the recording and think to yourself, "Oh, he using a...", that info would be helpful.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Steve

My first thought is a crunchy Marshall Plexi tone so one of the 1987X or PLEXI models paired with a Celestion Greenback IR (G12M) would be a good place to start.

I've seen Pete Thorn playing live with her and he was using his Suhr. I can't remember which amp I'm using when covering the song, but I'll look when I'm back in front of my Axe III

There is more than one electric guitar track in that song. She says she used her 82 LP on that song. Both track's amp sound British in nature. The clean one sounds very Voxy. The dirty ones sounds like there is a dirt box on it.

I think Waddy Wachtel played the solo on that record. He used to use Music Man amps with 10” speakers, and I think by that point he was using a Strat mostly but also played his LPs on some things. He was known to just turn the amp way up, and use a boost occasionally to hit the front end a bit harder. I don’t recall the brand, but it was a clean boost like the Xotic EP Booster.

He’s way underrated as a session guy who toured with everyone back then.

Back
Top Bottom