Is this possible?

Hey guys. I swapped my pedalboard for the axe fx multiple years ago and haven’t looked back since. Love the amp modeling, and in 99% of situations it sounds better than my incredibly nice tube amp that I had custom built for me by the time it’s mic’d up. In the other 1% of situations, (which Im pretty sure is only because fractal hasn’t modified my one off amp) I’ll use the axe as a pedalboard. My question is, could I do both of those things at the same time? Run an amp sim, and a send/return to my real amp in stereo? If so how would I do it? I currently have to change a global setting in order to switch from amp sims to pedalboard mode(instrument vs line level maybe?) so I don’t think it would necessarily match up. And now to get really greedy… could I also run a third dry signal at the same time? I have a situation coming up where I’ll be recording a song live in a pretty nice studio, and these were topics that came up with the engineer.

FWIW, I know this is absolutely 100% over the top, but I’d like to try it. Thanks

You have 4 outputs, you can create the signal chain(s) depending on your imagination, creativity and ofcourse the CPU usage/limit...and send any sound to any of those 4 outputs. So...technically yes you can do it.

You have 4 outputs, you can create the signal chain(s) depending on your imagination, creativity and ofcourse the CPU usage/limit...and send any sound to any of those 4 outputs. So...technically yes you can do it.
So if I’m trying to use the same effects for bother they modeled amp and the real amp, would I have to make 2 separate signal chains? Or just one stereo chain?

So if I’m trying to use the same effects for bother they modeled amp and the real amp, would I have to make 2 separate signal chains? Or just one stereo chain?It
It depends on many factors. Depending on your signal chain in Axe you could use pre amp fx for both outputs (both for real amp and amp block in axe fx) with post amp block fxs it would get complicated depending on your Cab block position in the chain.

2 seperate signal chain would ofcourse work. Only issue could be CPU if your preset gets busy.

Since it is for going to the studio I would just split off a clean DI then reamp through whatever setup you don’t capture while recording to make things simpler.

You can’t send return to your amp in stereo unless it is a stereo amp, or if you have two of them. Maybe I’m not understanding your question Though.

I would just use a send to your amp and back on your fx send and just engage the correct in/out blocks on the grid when you want to use the amp. This would be mono but you could then send thru stereo fx and output thru your monitors in stereo

Hey guys. I swapped my pedalboard for the axe fx multiple years ago and haven’t looked back since. Love the amp modeling, and in 99% of situations it sounds better than my incredibly nice tube amp that I had custom built for me by the time it’s mic’d up. In the other 1% of situations, (which Im pretty sure is only because fractal hasn’t modified my one off amp) I’ll use the axe as a pedalboard. My question is, could I do both of those things at the same time? Run an amp sim, and a send/return to my real amp in stereo? If so how would I do it? I currently have to change a global setting in order to switch from amp sims to pedalboard mode(instrument vs line level maybe?) so I don’t think it would necessarily match up. And now to get really greedy… could I also run a third dry signal at the same time? I have a situation coming up where I’ll be recording a song live in a pretty nice studio, and these were topics that came up with the engineer.

FWIW, I know this is absolutely 100% over the top, but I’d like to try it. Thanks

@hanlon92 could we see a pic of your non real amp layout in the Axe? Not over the top at all!

Your front end fx are easy to send both to an Amp block in the Axe and also to the input of your real amp via one of the Axe's physical outputs..you only need one fx chain for this which you would then split just before it hits the amp sim. I'm assuming your front end fx are mono going into either one amp sim (mono) or one real amp (mono). I'm not sure why you would need a global setting change to switch between pre fx going into the Amp block and pre fx going into the real amp, as that signal should just be one chain that gets split.

For post Amp block fx are you using stereo fx? If so, how (eg are they before or after the cab block?) and what fx are they? Also, do you want to run the Amp block with post fx at the same time as the real amp with post fx, or just one or the other? If it's both at the same time, you will need two independent post fx chains. If it's one or the other, it's probably easier to have a separate bank of presets for use with the real amp only.

If it's for a recording session, i would record a dry DI of the guitar without any fx, and depending on the engineer's recording setup, use an analogue splitter between guitar and Axe (to avoid more than one round of A/D conversion) unless you combine the studio's inputs with the Axe's USB signal going into their DAW. Run the pre fx to both the Amp block and real amp. For the post fx we need to see what they are first.

You would need to experiment with setting up your real amp in 4CM with the Axe's I/O.

For your "dry" signal, anything is possible. This could be the dry signal that hits the input of the Axe ready to reamp, or a "print" of the fx chain ready to reamp etc, either via USB or physical output.

Back
Top Bottom