Is this possible? MIDI switching question...

Crash-VR

I'm considering getting a Suhr PT100 which has uses MIDI for switching. My question is:
Can I essentially daisy chain my amps MIDI footswitch from the FX8's MIDI through and use both the FX8 and the amps footswitch at the same time? So I could have MIDI commands preset in my Scenes but once it I'm in a particular scene I could then switch channels using the amp foot switch? Does that make sense? Thanks!

I plan to use scenes. If i press the scene button and pic a scene, it then goes back to stomp mode, which I like. It would just be great if I could also use the MIDI through and the footswitch to have the option to change the channels or engage the boost on the fly. Without having to press scene then pick the scene. It would just really uncomplicate everything. That way I could use the scenes for things like lead with delay or clean with compressor, instead of just basic channel switching. I just want it all. Is that so bad?! Isn't that the point of these units anyway ;)

I see no reason why this wouldn't work. Just insure that the FX8 and your amp are configured for different MIDI channels so the FX8 doesn't process MIDI messages intended for the amp.

I wonder if the Suhr's pedal is really a midi pedal, as on the amp the pedal input looks like it has more than the standard 5-pins... it might not work on the FX8's midi input.

I wonder if the Suhr's pedal is really a midi pedal, as on the amp the pedal input looks like it has more than the standard 5-pins... it might not work on the FX8's midi input.
That's a good point. You'll want to consult the manufacturer.

It is actually MIDI. But it does get power from the amp. So it probably has more than the standard 5 pin to include power. Do you think I could use a different MIDI controller to the same effect? One that has it's own power source?

Its a 7 PIN midi for the input on the Suhr PT100. This provides standard MIDI along with phantom power for the stock foot switch. You just need a 7 to 5 pin converter cable to make it work, it will basically take the 2 extra pins, and provide a DC jack for you to connect to a wall wart or whatever to power your pedal. You plug that into the DC jack and MIDI through on the FX8, and then plug the MIDI out on your FX8 into the MIDI IN on the Suhr. It should work, you just need a couple adapters.

Heres an example of what you need:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/rocktron-5-pin-to-7-pin-rdmh-midi-cable

Back
Top Bottom