Is this a bug?

DonB

I've been trying out some presets from the exchange and a few of them that were made on an Axe-FX III were too large for the FM9, so I got the CPU LIMIT - Muted warning. Now if I import a different preset at the same exact preset number where I just got the warning, the warning won't disappear, even if the new imported preset is not using anywhere near 100% of the CPU. The only way to get rid of this message (and to get sound), is to go to another preset number on the FM9 and then go back and import the preset that's using less than 100%.

Is this a bug? Why won't the FM9 just accept the new (correct) preset?

I’m curious as someone else just mentioned FM9Edit ‘holding onto’ previous settings, is this showing up on the unit itself or in FM9Edit?

@DonB,

It's likely because the Axe III-created presets contain blocks that eat inordinate amounts of CPU. You can still use the Axe III presets for FM9, you just need to "cut out the extra carbs" (read: edit or remove some of the "high-calorie" CPU blocks so things will fit better in the FM9). I think you'll agree that a more sensible "diet" that doesn't eat up too much CPU is better for the FM9.

And, no, it's probably not a bug. The Axe III has twice as much processing power as the FM9, and can handle larger CPU loads than the FM9. For now, try to "lighten the load" a little and not over-expend the CPU consumption.

Be sure to clear the preset where you received the warning and select Save. A new preset in that slot should not produce a warning when you select save.

Last edited:
I’m curious as someone else just mentioned FM9Edit ‘holding onto’ previous settings, is this showing up on the unit itself or in FM9Edit?
It shows up in FM9 edit, but I haven't checked whether the unit itself showed a message. It might be just an issue with the FM9 edit holding on to the old preset's 100%+ CPU usage.

@DonB,

It's likely because the Axe III-created presets contain blocks that eat inordinate amounts of CPU. You can still use the Axe III presets for FM9, you just need to "cut out the extra carbs" (read: edit or remove some of the "high-calorie" CPU blocks so things will fit better in the FM9). I think you'll agree that a more sensible "diet" that doesn't eat up too much CPU is better for the FM9.

And, no, it's probably not a bug. The Axe III has twice as much processing power as the FM9, and can handle larger CPU loads than the FM9. For now, try to "lighten the load" a little and not over-expend the CPU consumption.
Hi, thanks for your input, but the issue is not getting the warning when the preset is using too much CPU, but still getting the message (and no sound) when you import another preset at that same preset number. (I imported an FM3 preset that normally uses 40% of the CPU, but I still got the warning and no sound.

Hi, thanks for your input, but the issue is not getting the warning when the preset is using too much CPU, but still getting the message (and no sound) when you import another preset at that same preset number. (I imported an FM3 preset that normally uses 40% of the CPU, but I still got the warning and no sound.
Try clearing the preset where you plan on importing the new preset to, and saving the cleared preset prior to importing the new preset to the same preset number.

Also, once the imported preset is saved to your choice of location, refresh the FM9-Edit Library (located under Toolbar > Library). Worst case scenario, refresh the system (located under Systems > Refresh After New Firmware Install).

It may simply be a case of the library needing a refresh, or the system. Doesn't require that much time (a minute to two maximum). It's like rebooting your computer, only it refreshes the library or system and allows the system to acclimate to its new settings...

If there still exists a warning, it may be that your imported preset CAB block is non-factory (a 3rd-party IR) that won't translate to your FM9. It's like trying to speak Latin when the FM9 speaks English. The FM9 doesn't understand.

Back
Top Bottom