Is there way to get USB Audio to come out Mono on OUT1?

guitaroholic

Inspired
I use a summed OUT1 (R) to a Friedman ASC-12 and like to run backing tracks from Mac through USB.
Some songs with hard panning, like the intro for Fell On Black Days for instance, do not come out of the speaker until the band comes in. And it's probably still missing the L pan. It does come out properly from the headphone out.
I've tried Sum L+R and L->R, but even the manual says 'USB Audio goes directly to the converters and is NOT affected by this setting'

Any way to get USB Audio to come out of OUT1 R-only?
SOL?

• Try reworking your backing tracks by panning them hard right.
  • Try using the 'USB Return' block in your presets and route/pan it's output as you wish.

My Mac is at the studio so I can’t check right now, but in Windows sound settings you can force the OS to output mono.

I use a summed OUT1 (R) to a Friedman ASC-12 and like to run backing tracks from Mac through USB.
Some songs with hard panning, like the intro for Fell On Black Days for instance, do not come out of the speaker until the band comes in. And it's probably still missing the L pan. It does come out properly from the headphone out.
I've tried Sum L+R and L->R, but even the manual says 'USB Audio goes directly to the converters and is NOT affected by this setting'

Any way to get USB Audio to come out of OUT1 R-only?
SOL?

Launch the Audio MIDI Setup app
Open the Audio window
Select the FM9
Choose "Configure Speakers"
Set both L and R to USB channel 2

• Try reworking your backing tracks by panning them hard right.
  • Try using the 'USB Return' block in your presets and route/pan it's output as you wish.
  • yea, I'll watch out for that. Most of them are actually pretty centered, but the AppleMusic audio is panned, so I can't listen the track to learn it. Some RHCP sound really weird too the way they're panned
  • not seeing a USB Return block on FM9

Tried the Pan block. seems like the USB audio doesn't go through the grid at all. Even when feeding it in with 'In USB'
Yes, Input USB will bring the computer audio into the grid from USB channels 7/8. See the Audio Midi Setup instructions above to send to 7/8. However, if you want a solution that doesn't require customizing presets, I'd suggest using Loopback as described above.

This really needs to be done in the mac, not the fm9 as the audio goes straight out, it has to be fixed coming in.

on windows there are some option that allow this, for the record it is ..

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Ease of Access > Audio, and then switch on the toggle under Turn on mono audio.

I am sure there are some such options in the mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-audio-settings-for-accessibility-unac611/mac

To change these settings, choose Apple menu
2f77cc85238452e25cb517130188bf99.png
> System Settings, click Accessibility
c3fdc62492cd63e79f2554926d6fbef0.png
in the sidebar, then click Audio on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)

Under General, you’ll see Play stereo audio as mono

Back
Top Bottom