Is there something wrong with my new Axe?

EightmanVT

Inspired
I've been having fun playing with this thing since yesterday - but have had something happen twice and I'm not sure where to place the blame. I'm using Reaper and just playing via USB through my iMac - and I'll be playing and playing...and suddenly - the audio will become very intermittent - and then extremely intermittent. The fix both times - has been to restart the Axe? I've not had to do anything else - and audio is back and normal? Has anyone encountered this? Happened just a few minutes ago.

Well - this is interesting and I guess it's fortunate that I was recording when it happened this time - as it helps with the troubleshooting. I just went back and listened to what I was recording (a very humiliating exercise BTW) and it seems that Reaper didn't pick up those issues - makes me believe it's on the iMac - some sort of buffer overflow maybe? Anyone else encountered this - that could recommend a fix?

Still having some anomalies - but also still learning. I've been looking at some of the patches in the preset exchange - and for instance - the cello patch didn't work at all at first when I used Axe-Edit to load - 3 tries later - it seemed to load - and I just put a cab in so I could hear it - but that really causes output problems - regularly. Sounds really great until it farts out (only technical term I know). Other patches - for instance, Mark Day's Eruption patch - doesn't work at all - the EJ Plexi patch - worked - but started making horrific noise - so I rebooted the Axe and then it seemed to work fine. While it won't be used live any time soon - on the order of months - eventually - I'll use this live - and don't want it dropping out like it is right now.

Are you having the troubles running direct to monitors, headphones or power amp & cab as well as when you run it through your iMac? Might be worthwhile to keep headphones, monitors or power amp & cab plugged in to the Axe and see if the drop out is occurring on the Axe's outs as well as through your iMac.

Are you having the troubles running direct to monitors, headphones or power amp & cab as well as when you run it through your iMac? Might be worthwhile to keep headphones, monitors or power amp & cab plugged in to the Axe and see if the drop out is occurring on the Axe's outs as well as through your iMac.

I haven't tried any of those combos yet - I've been too busy having fun just playing with it through the iMac - but agreed - that's definitely something I need to check out to see if it's the Axe or for some reason the iMac doesn't want to play well with the Axe via USB. I hope that's not the case. I don't have any monitors yet - although planning to fix that soon - but I can definitely try an amp and cab - I just didn't want to hear the wife complaining about the noise. :)

Mark Day's patches have modifiers attached to various things, they are set up for his pedals. Many of his patches won't work until you turn those off.

Ok - good tip. I'll take a close look at that - when I get back in town that is... traveling for a few days :) Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom