Is there some way to slave one amp to another amp?

Dimebucker

Experienced
Is there some way to slave one amp ,to another amp? Like lets say i have two amp blocks and i want slave that first amp block preamp circuit only ,to second amp block poweramp section. I was wonder if there is some option in amp block ,where you can shut down preamp section or poweramp section. And then you can put those two amps together in chain ,and use first amp like a preamp and second amp like a poweramp.

I was notice some user did use some method that he did put one amp block first in chain ,and then after that he did put cab block there to emulate some kind of poweramp section. And of course last in chain he was have second cab ,what he did use like a normal guitar cab style. But if someone know some tricks to slave one amp to another amp ,please let me know if it is possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply ,i was thinking same. But if someone have find some way to emulate that preamp poweramp wiring ,would be very nice to hear.

I don't think so, if I'm not mistaking that would leave things too venerable to reverse engineering code.

Half of it you def can do. On the amp block where you don't wish to use the poweramp, simply turn the SAK (I think it's called -am not near my axe fx right now.). The it won't use the power amp part of the amp. Next to the knob there is a box where you can tick off Pre-amp SAK, but I haven't played w this, so don't know how it works.Might be just what you need :)

Just curious if in this scenario you can then turn off the preamp on the second amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

From G1 era:

- Another tip: cascade one amp block into another. Turn off "Sag" in the first one. Now you've got an extra preamp feeding your amp, which opens up an incredible spectrum of gain staging. F.e., think Twin Reverb preamp, with Plexi tonestack set to "post," feeding a Plexi 2 with default settings. The possibilities exceed anything one person could hope to explore in a lifetime. You can get it awfully close. You want to minimize the effect of the preamp in Amp 2. To do this, set the Amp 2 Bright to off, MV to a high value, and find a neutral setting for the tone controls in Amp 2. Then use Drive in Amp 2 for your MV. The amp types you choose for this arrangement will make a huge difference, as will quite a few parameter settings. There's easily enough flexibility to allow you to create any sound the Mesa can make, and a lot more that it can't.

Thanks a lot for reply . I have notice that Preamp Sag switch but my ears that shut down something in poweramp section ,but I need also shut down second amp block preamp circuit.

Half of it you def can do. On the amp block where you don't wish to use the poweramp, simply turn the SAK (I think it's called -am not near my axe fx right now.). The it won't use the power amp part of the amp. Next to the knob there is a box where you can tick off Pre-amp SAK, but I haven't played w this, so don't know how it works.Might be just what you need :)

That is what I`m looking for ,now if we know how shut down poweramp. Would be nice know is there some trick ,to shut down preamp circuit.

Just curious if in this scenario you can then turn off the preamp on the second amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds good ,I will test that too.

From G1 era:

- Another tip: cascade one amp block into another. Turn off "Sag" in the first one. Now you've got an extra preamp feeding your amp, which opens up an incredible spectrum of gain staging. F.e., think Twin Reverb preamp, with Plexi tonestack set to "post," feeding a Plexi 2 with default settings. The possibilities exceed anything one person could hope to explore in a lifetime. You can get it awfully close. You want to minimize the effect of the preamp in Amp 2. To do this, set the Amp 2 Bright to off, MV to a high value, and find a neutral setting for the tone controls in Amp 2. Then use Drive in Amp 2 for your MV. The amp types you choose for this arrangement will make a huge difference, as will quite a few parameter settings. There's easily enough flexibility to allow you to create any sound the Mesa can make, and a lot more that it can't.

Think out of the box.

You can change tonestack type (outside of default,) and even tube type that you use.

The tools are there, but there will be no apples to apples 'preamp one amp - power amp another'. The closest *might* be use a 'tube pre' which is arguably the most transparent preamp.

-R

Yeah good points there ,that tube pre I know that could be take me there. I will try that tonestack tonight too ,I have not messing around whit that feature a lot. And that why I need to check that also ,what there will happened. And I want only use this magic box itself ,nothing extra units hooked up on this. But there was good info ,for your reply thanks.

Think out of the box.

You can change tonestack type (outside of default,) and even tube type that you use.

The tools are there, but there will be no apples to apples 'preamp one amp - power amp another'. The closest *might* be use a 'tube pre' which is arguably the most transparent preamp.

-R

Back
Top Bottom