Is there any point in buying a traditional amp after owning a II.

Laskyman

Inspired
Like many of you, I have a gear problem/addiction/habit/need to know....and to be honest- the axe has really kept the GAS at bay for several years.
But I have an opportunity to land a Mark V head and 112 cab for a pretty ridiculous price, and I love that amp. Actually, there is a collection of Mesa available to me for very low dollars, and they are all pristine- but I've never owned a V...
Any of you keep a V around AND have a II? I use several USA lead models as my core lead tones- i love the focus. Are there any AXE USA tricks I should check out in the advanced amp tabs? Any other tips with cabs you can share?
I have one friend who owns both (has for a couple years) but says he doesn't touch the V anymore because the II is so close... I guess I'm just looking for additional opinions before spending any money.
I haven't been able to really coax the Mark 1 mode out of the Axe yet- and it just sings in the V...any tone matches of that mode around?
Thanks....

My amps collect dust, will probably be sold. I haven't even looked at an amp or thought about one for the last year since I got my II.

So unless you really NEED that monster (which I know is a great amp), I'd pass.

I have owned and sold an ULTRA and a II. Kept the Triaxis / Stereo 2:Ninety for exactly the reasons you stated above. Very happy. Gas is at bay. especially now that I've added a Two Notes C.A.B. and a Jettenuator for silent recording.

Hey Lasky, I suffer from a bad case the of GAS especially when I read about a piece of gear ESPECIALLY an amp. DEC will be two years since I gpt my Axe and the only time that I have played through an amp in a music store is just to check out a guitar. This is unprecedented for me. I do wanna go play some stuff soon to see how some amps work and try to dial them in with the AXE. I wish I had a high quality portable recorder for this purpose.

There is a thread in the Wish List you may like. I think it's topic is about a Blackstar amp. In it someone suggest a model of a Blackstar and Cliff replies that the basis for almost any amp is already in the fractal and its just a matter or certain tweaks to get you there. He went on to say there will be some info and tutorials on this soon. That's exciting for me. I would guess the info you seek may also be in there!

My primary amp is the AxeII it's just so compact and versatile, but I still own two valve heads, a 100B Bogner and a Friedman Marsha. There is something magical about the heads that the axe can not capture, I am building a new pedal board ATM which I will use with my amp heads for selected gigs. For smaller gigs I will use the Axe.

I still have a fender prosonic combo in the studio. Not because it's necessarily an amazing amp (although it's quite nice in its own right), but because sometimes it's just more convenient. Like with the jazz combo it's just easier to take an amp and a guitar rather than the rack, floorboard, guitar and powered speaker.

I have a FIVE, and it's astonishing with el-34's and a 2x12 cab. I couldn't part with it. Any tone you want is in it.

The answer to this is it's a personal preference as to wether or not you want to buy/keep a tube amp, this is a personal prospective that I have and thus this is what I think it all boils down to some might think otherwise.

If one feels that he or she can do without a tube amp and that the Axe will fill that void then it will do. I also think that some just like to have a tube amp around (options) just to have it. Wile others want to interact with a tube amp in the traditional sense. I know this feeling as well as most others do, but were the difference is the convenience that the Axe brings to the table. I'm one of those that sold off all of my amps and guitar cabs as I felt that I no longer needed them to do what I'm doing with my playing and that works for me. Will I own another tube amp??? maybe one day, I actually want to build a tube amp (kit form) just to have something to do and say that yeah I built a tube amp and I learn from that experience.

Guys like Pete Thorn who have openly stated that they will never get rid of their tube rigs because of, 1. How they are using them (in a pro setting), 2. The emotional connection that they have to them... there is something about a tube amp that has an appeal that is more then just cool factor even though that is part of it. It does go beyond that not quite sure what it is but there is just something about having a box behind you that has lights glowing in and around it and making a sound that effects you in such a way that compels you to create a sound that ether puts a smile on your face or strikes an emption deep with in you .

Yes, totally!. Im old school when it comes to amps and stage presence. I still love to see real amps on stage, that why i hate all the latest Metallica performances... no amps on stage....

I had an Axe FX II, and sold it, to go back to tubes. I went through several amps, the last one being the Mark V. I sold it and went back to the Axe FX II, and couldn't be happier. Like you, the only tone I can't get with the II is the Mark I mode, but I have been told the TX Star Lead can get you there, I just haven't tried it yet. There are also a buttload of Mark V Tonematches that someone did, all in one bank file, I can PM you it if you can't find it. I find, even at 10 watt mode, the Mark V to be too loud for my situation at home to reach the amps sweet spot. I say, if you love that amp, and your ears and anyone who lives with you can deal with tube amp volume, go for it.

Yes, absolutely there is a reason to own a regular amp. I own a Blues Jr. that I use to take to guitar ensemble, where I mostly play clean an unaffected sounds. There's something to be said for simplicity. In certain settings I don't need all the power the AxeFX gives me. Sometimes I just need a great-sounding tube amp that's lightweight, has good onboard reverb and power enough to be heard over a drummer.

Sometimes I just like to curl up on the sofa on front of the TV and play. In those cases, I just plug directly into the Blues Jr.

I also own a Fender Mustang II I keep on the ground floor of my house. For all I paid for it, it's a phenomenal deal.

Nothing wrong with having the Tubes and an Axe. My main gigging tone is based off of my 5150ii. I keep the 5150ii as a back up - just in case type of thing. I also have a 1983 vertical input Marshall JCM800 2204. Thing is an absolute beast and will never be sold. Same with my 1967 Traynor YVM-1, although this is more of a family heirloom type of thing.

If you have the money and it's a great amp for a great deal buy it. You can always re-sell.

I will never part with my valve amps...they are awesome in their own respect. However, as of late, they just sit there looking cool, while the Axe FX II gets all the love!

I had an Axe FX II, and sold it, to go back to tubes. I went through several amps, the last one being the Mark V. I sold it and went back to the Axe FX II, and couldn't be happier. Like you, the only tone I can't get with the II is the Mark I mode, but I have been told the TX Star Lead can get you there, I just haven't tried it yet. There are also a buttload of Mark V Tonematches that someone did, all in one bank file, I can PM you it if you can't find it. I find, even at 10 watt mode, the Mark V to be too loud for my situation at home to reach the amps sweet spot. I say, if you love that amp, and your ears and anyone who lives with you can deal with tube amp volume, go for it.

I am definitely interested in the file if you have it handy- thanks! I *love* amps, but I don't love being unable to "open them up" at home, and to be honest, I have had more "fun" just playing guitar with the Axe than I have in 20 years...also, I have a hard time justifying owning 2 "big boy" rigs when I am not a "wage earning" musician...but I DO love the idea of having another Mesa....
I am seriously going to explore the TX Star lead in depth...the Mark 1 mode on the V is a seriously mojo filled circuit! Thanks for the tip...

I have a mark v and an axe 2 together. Dont know why. I bought mark before axe. But i love it so much never thought of selling. Its one of the best of best amp on the market. Its only heavy. If it was easy to carry i wouldve never have gone for axe.

I have a small Marshall combo with some stomps that collects dust. Ultra reliable though, and it's there strictly as a backup.

Back
Top Bottom