Is there a web site that tells the rig used for a song ?

Mij

Hi,
Been very busy these days so I had to postpone my reading of the AX8 pdf manual.
But I read somewhere that "Sultans of Swing" was recorded on a certain Fender Amp (don't remember now) and this amp is among the ones in the AX8.
So I thought, being in a retro band, that I could use the exact (more or less I guess) rig used for each song I play. And then I wondered where to get that kind of info. So...

Is there a web site that could focus on this topic ?

We'll be musically busy next summer. It would give me time to build these presets. We play retro songs from early Beatles, Buddy Holly, Stones, SRV, Doobie Brothers, etc... Lots of different guitar sounds.
Thanks !

I know equipboard has full lists of gear used by artists but it doesn't go into the level of detail you're looking for. Maybe google specific songs and see if you can find any interviews.

Hi,

So I thought, being in a retro band, that I could use the exact (more or less I guess) rig used for each song I play.
Thanks !
That's the right line of thinking for dialing covers. I don't know a site that lists precise rig for precise song. However, you can google artists and their rigs and find sites that break them down by tours and/or albums and then use same or similar in Axe-Fx. That's how I do it.

If someone built an app that could do that, instruct Axe-Edit to load the appropriate blocks, and do a FracTool style macro to load the artists amp/parameter settings (for that album, tour, or general setting artist was known for)...I'd buy that!

That'd be about as close as you could get to a talent/tone stomp box.
14486d1410423868-ultimate-jazz-stomp-box-talentbooster-jpg

I do it the same way when I'm trying to cop a certain tone, just do a little research or just try to get close. Hell most of the time the majority are not going to give a rip as whether or not you nailed the exact tone. Play a good rendition and they will love you just as much!

I'm not saying it's not the right way to go, sometimes it's the only way to go. If you can find exactly what he used you'd probably wind up pretty darn close with effort.

Ha ha I been seeking out the artists rig for a while now when doing covers. Really a pita when I find they are using a Hughes & Kettner (MEH)!.

Hi,
Been out for a while.
I read you all. Right, I'll have to do some research, hoping for the best.
I can just imagine the pleasure of seeing peoples hearing me play and realise that I have "THE" tone they like in a song.

The funny thing about copping an artists tone for a particular song is, the artist themselves don't use the same rig(s) on tour as they did in the studio.

I have given up on trying to use the exact amp (model) and exact effects, especially as many effects are applied on the guitar bus (where all the guitar parts are summed in a mix).

As many others have done, I set up some general patches. Fender amps for clean with single coils, Marshall cleans with HBs, Marshall and Orange for low-mid gain, Mesa for hard rock gain, and Fractal Modern for high gain.

Each patch has a couple of standard effects such as delays, phasers, chorus much as I would have a traditional pedal board rigged. When playing a song with a signature effect (the intro to Welcome to the Jungle, pretty much anything by U2) I will set up a patch with that specific effect using one of the above mentioned amps.

The funny thing about copping an artists tone for a particular song is, the artist themselves don't use the same rig(s) on tour as they did in the studio.

In a session with one of our top artists, I did my best to replicate the existing rig.
He came in, sat down, played for awhile and said with a :-/

"Well, it doesn't sound like the rig."

I breathed in and out while my brain went a million miles an hour.

"It sounds BETTER than the rig. :)"

Thanks rushian for the web site. Appreciated.
I agree that a guitarist in a band, when live, doesn't have the same equipment.
But the version we hear the most is the one recorded,
Without getting crazy about it, I'd find it very interesting to dig some of the records I like.

I hope you have a good relationship with the sound man. Changing your tone so drastically from one song to the next can cause big problems in the FOH mix. If you go that route you'll just about need to sound check every single preset.

Personally I think you're dreaming of a scenario that doesn't exist. No one is going to notice that you nailed the tone down to the exact amp model and cab that was used on the record. More power to you, go out and try it and see what happens, I personally just think you're getting into unnecessary headache heartache and troubles.

Back
Top Bottom