Is there a way to mimic multi-band compression with two comp blocks in parallel?

Atmospheric

Inspired
I'm working on optimizing one or two presets for slide guitar. It's a little challenging because I'm playing slide on a guitar with pretty much normal (low) action. Nothing stupid, 2/32" at the 12th fret, using 10-46 strings. Pretty standard. But being able to use a light touch is essential.

I've found myself yearning for a multi-band compressor. I'd love to be able to compress the plain strings a lot more than the wound strings. Of course the FX8 doesn't offer multiband comp. But is it possible to use two parallel comp blocks to get close? Anyone ever tried this?

Does anyone perhaps have a Lowell George or Bonnie Raitt preset they could share?

You should be able to do this with a Filter block before each Compressor (also in the parallel path, if possible on the FX8?). One as a 'High Pass' filter and one as a 'Low Pass' filter. Both set to '4th Order'. You just have to get the cross-over points right. Maybe even use the 'Low Cut' and 'High Cut' parameters to steepen the filter curve slope even further?

I found a way to do poor man's multi-band compression. Put an EQ block between two Comp blocks, like this:

Comp > PEQ > Comp

The first Comp block compresses the entire signal to some level. The PEQ (or GEQ) boosts some band of frequencies. The second Comp block will automatically compress those boosted frequencies more than the unboosted frequencies.

Of course settings matter a lot. I was able to set the PEQ block to boost 320-640Hz in way that brings out my treble strings for slide playing.

Back
Top Bottom