Is there a way mirror another unit?

I work 50+ hrs/week and I have a two y.o. daughter that takes up most of my remaining waking hours. I finally picked up my guitar(s) after a two year hiatus (perfectly coincides with the amount of time I've been a father) and it became painfully apparent that I'll never have time to figure out the Axe-FX II. I watched 9 minutes of a Cooper Carter tutorial and my head almost exploded. I'm sure most of you hate the idea of this and can never imagine doing it, but is there a way, if I know a guitarist that uses the Axe-FX (and I like their tone/sound/fx) to mirror their unit? Not just a couple of their presets, but everything. As though they were to trade me their unit for mine. Is it possible? Would it take a lot of work? Thanks for any input.

If they are the same model you can load the presets and settings from there axe to yours with fractal bot, but I would not think the other person would want your to be exactly the same. I guess you would have to do this a lot, every time the other one changed something.

Have them do a full back up of their unit with Factal-Bot and send you everything that it dumps. You can reload it all with Fractal-Bot in to your unit.

Note that sharing third party IRs is a copyright violation. You can't just give them to other people. So if their unit has third party IRs in it, they should omit those from the backup.

i'm guessing you don't have an axe now? but when/if you do, i would suggest updating your Axe-Fx to the latest firmware (currently QFW 1.05) and the latest presets (currently circa 18.xx), and you should be good to go :) lots of great factory presets, which you can easily move around to be in the order you want.

i could walk you through it some day in the future. it's easy. :)

Out of curiosity, do you use AxeEdit? With the latest firmware(s) I literally start with a new grid, add amp and appropriate cab, adjust the amp tone controls/drive/master until I'm happy with the base tone, then add a couple of effects to taste and I'm done. Lately it takes me 15min or less to get a tone I'm super happy with. Any tweaking after that is just to bring it from great to excellent, or to make a quick adjustment for live volume levels and to fit in with the band monitor mix.

Hi, like Chris said, I've used the Factory Presets for shows with no tweaking at all right after an update.. There are some great ones that are usable with minimal tweaking...

Last edited:
The fundamental reason that stock presets, or another individual's presets, and/or settings don't work for lots of players is their playing style, and their guitar/s. It's a testament to the quality of the AFX that so much of the player's own 'sound', what comes from the fingers comes through, much like a 'real' amp for want of a better term.

Many a time I've heard an awesome sound clip or video, then been offered that actual preset, excitedly having a go with it, only to be thoroughly disappointed. Took a short while for me to 'get' it, but I soon realised that 95% of the time, only my own setup/presets will actually work for me. Even some of my own presets definitely suit certain guitars of mine more than others, usually the guitar I built the preset for of course, but it shows how finely balanced all the settings are. I'm still constantly astounded by this thing.

Another thing is the fingers of each guitarist. will saying I watch Cooper Carters videos with pleasure and downloaded his presets as I did his tutorial classes, but I will never sound like him, as I haven't got his fingers, talent and touch. So I always learn a lot from watching videos and tutorials but I always have to do some more tweaking by myself to make it feel and sounding the way I like it, as I can't play like Cooper. He is an very talented and great guitar player. Will saying a lot depends on your own playing and if haven't been really playing for 2 years, than this is normal. It is not that you get Axe FX ii and you will sound great. I hope you understand what I want to say - I don't mean it bad in any way and english is not my nativ language. Just work on it and it will work out great. :)

Last edited:
I'm attempting to update my firmware. I DL'd AxeEdit and Fractal-Bot and have my Axe-FXII connected via USB, but when I go to the Bot, I can select my device, but in the "Select an Input Port/Output Port" drop down box it says "None".

I also DL'd the latest Firmware. The last time I updated the firmware was August 2013, version 11.0. Is there a way to update firmware without using Fractal Bot?

When I attempt to connect to AxeEdit, it says "disconnected" in the upper/left corner. Clearly something up with my Axe communicating via USB(?)

One thing for sure, this "simple" process didn't fail to frustrate and is a prime example why a lot of my gear gets closeted for years at a time. What should I try next?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
You will be very surprised how it sounds with the latest firmware Quantum 1.05 - just download the latest driver and Fractal Bot. Fractal Bot is very good for installing firmware.

Back
Top Bottom