Is there a negative to using Cab block Level for solo boost? How do you create your boost for solos?

macfly

Inspired
AX8 is working great on 2 out of 2 gigs. I feel I have a great eq and some really nice patches. Last night, soundman said that my solo scene wasn't rising above the rest. It was created by adding gain (FET boost) to my BEv2 amp, and by adding 3dB to the cab. It works great in my IEMs--in fact the solo boost is a little too loud. I also reduced the bass just slightly so it wouldn't get woofy with the extra gain. How do you guys create a solo boost?

Last edited:
I have my gain increase variable from 4 db to 7 db on a filter block controlled by a pedal controller.

Ive always been a fan of an EQ in the loop with strategic mids boosted slightly. But there are several good ways to do it.

Whatever works best for you is the ticket.

Thanks guys. I've always used the filter block in my FX8 but thought the bumping the output on the cab block would save some memory. As far as the search, I am sorry for asking a redundant question but felt the problem aspect of this made it worthwhile. I didn't find anything that really addressed that. I'd suppose it's just going to take some trial and error. Thanks!

for posterity sake, this thread was originally titled something like "how do i boost", which is why no one has specifically commented on the Cab Level topic, which was edited in by the OP after most if not all of the replies.

for posterity sake, this thread was originally titled something like "how do i boost", which is why no one has specifically commented on the Cab Level topic, which was edited in by the OP after most if not all of the replies.
Yeah... I was a bit confused when I came back to read the last comment from the OP.

Yeah, I guess I made a mess of it. Sorry about that fellas. Great advice above. As mentioned I've used the filter...am intrigued by the PEQ as that was how I did it years ago with a HD 500. Thinking about it, I don't really use a lot of memory in general, so I'd guess I shouldn't be so worried...

Is increasing the cab level different than increasing the scene output level?
Depends on where the cab is in your chain. If it is the last block, then it shouldn't be any different. If there are blocks after the cab, it will boost the level going into them and could possibly alter your sound.

Depends on where the cab is in your chain. If it is the last block, then it shouldn't be any different. If there are blocks after the cab, it will boost the level going into them and could possibly alter your sound.

Follow up question: does increasing the cab volume introduce additional gain or compression? It seems like it’s more logical and efficient to address the volume at the end of the chain via the scene output level where you can also EQ it. That being said there’s a 100 ways to skin a cat as the saying goes.

CPU, not memory...
Hahaha...d'oh! Sooo...not a computer guy, but I'd guess you knew that.

The conversation about boosting the cab block does however make sense...It is in front of a delay, and I can see how jacking up the signal going into the delay would wash things out. So yeah, now I see how boosting the scene or adding a filter or eq at the end is better. Feeling a little dumb, but hey I'm learning! Thanks for your help.

Weird how it sounds fine in my IEM but gets lost in the mix at FOH, but the problem with boosting the cab does make sense.

Hahaha...d'oh! Sooo...not a computer guy, but I'd guess you knew that.

The conversation about boosting the cab block does however make sense...It is in front of a delay, and I can see how jacking up the signal going into the delay would wash things out. So yeah, now I see how boosting the scene or adding a filter or eq at the end is better. Feeling a little dumb, but hey I'm learning! Thanks for your help.

Weird how it sounds fine in my IEM but gets lost in the mix at FOH, but the problem with boosting the cab does make sense.
Personally, I don't boost at the end... My chain is:

Pre Fx (Comp, Wah, Drives) -> Amp -> Cab -> Filter (for boost) -> Post Fx (Rotary, Delay, Reverb)

I find it sounds more natural to boost before the ambient effects, but might just be placebo. ;)

Personally, I don't boost at the end... My chain is:

Pre Fx (Comp, Wah, Drives) -> Amp -> Cab -> Filter (for boost) -> Post Fx (Rotary, Delay, Reverb)

I find it sounds more natural to boost before the ambient effects, but might just be placebo. ;)

Hmmm...maybe it's just weird to use the cab block. I dunno, in my amp rig I have the FX8's post fx in the loop and boost via Filter at the end of that chain.

Back
Top Bottom