Is there a good primer on how guitar stem tracks relate to AXE FX?

So I was watching an interview with Vivian Campbell's guitar tech, who explained that he's using the guitar track stems from the Hysteria album programmed into the FX3 as a means reproducing the exact sound of that studio guitar tone(s).

Guitar stem tracks would be a stereo mix of the recorded guitar tracks (probably just for Phil's guitars).

They were probably using those as a reference for dialing in tones and maybe as @pauly suggested a tone match.

(if) The entire band (keys, guitars, drums) can accurately reproduce all the original tone from the album, the live performance can sound like the album. While the TM block is helpful I would recommend using it as a last resort or as an A/B to help dial in a traditional Cab Block.

(if) The entire band (keys, guitars, drums) can accurately reproduce all the original tone from the album, the live performance can sound like the album. While the TM block is helpful I would recommend using it as a last resort or as an A/B to help dial in a traditional Cab Block.
By this you mean, begin by modeling the equipment on the facts, then use this when trying to get the last 5% match? I think I understand I just wasn't sure if there was some modeling mojo here that was using the stems as some kind of auto-modeling magic.

Even with an identical tone dialed in, the tuning and timing of your performance would have to be robot level precise to get significant phase cancellation with a separate reference recording. You're better of just using the tonematch feature as a means of comparison. The flatter the resulting tonematch curve, the closer your input signal is to the reference.

Using PTs it is possible to line up the performance and get a good read on this. Certain passages will be easier than others. Some my not be possible. The TM is good for comparison purposes.

Back
Top Bottom