Is there a global eq on the ax8

Update, the global eq settings were flat so they were not changed. I guess i just like my tone to be bright, lol. I purchased a few redwirez IR bundles. They have nice naming convention by cabinet\microphone\microphone position. They also have a nice description of where the mic is and what affect on the tone one can expect here.

http://www.redwirez.com/ir/DialingInYourTone.pdf

Only got to play around for about an hour this morning, but indeed it was amazing how bright "on the cap" was vs "edge of cone". So far, my favorite seems to be the "room mic" settings. The "room mic" settings also are relatively bright.

I did buy my ax8 2nd hand (probably 3 months into production, couldn't wait for the list and paid extra $$$ to get it, a great decision imho).

I have found that when I listen to youtube videos, or even some of the videos here, my unit has way less high end when I use those same patches. (all eq flat)

I did some experimenting with my main gig rig. I patched into an a/b switch and just went between fractal/yamaha dxr10 pair, and the jvm410 half stack. Test done at gig volumes

JVM410H with Marshall AHW 4x12 cabinet. No effects, low mids high presence set at about 12 3 12 3 o'clock positions. I use crunch channel orange set to about noon for the gain. (Pretty high for the JVM). This is a bright tone, but not crazy bright. My other guitarist uses the same rig and our tones are similar. both heads are unmodified.

I can't even come close to the tone using the fractal JVM. I would need two eqs to boost 2-3k hertz enough to even get close.

I modified someones diary of madman patch that I found either here or on the exchange site and modified it so its now pretty close. If I figure out whose it was, I would be happy to thank them. screenshot below.

. I have to add further eq boost at 2k and 3k on top of this setting, but it does get me close to my "real" jvm tone. To me, my JVM is not set that bright, it has quite a bit more to go if I want. However to get the fractal there I really have to super bright it.View attachment 39062 Since I did get mine second hand, any chance there is a global eq that is causing what I percieve as a lack of high end?
.....umm IMHO...Yamaha DRX 10's should be fine....but I prefer 12" speakers..they sound fuller to me ..u can also seek out some of the cab guys at Atomic ,Matrix.XiTone to name a few....for FRFR solutions..there is plenty feedback in this forum on those..also since you got the AX8 second hand I would definitely load the latest firmware...the JVM410 in the AXE is dead on dude I used to have one....but I used a 2x12 cab got tired of carrying a 4x12..so do the AB thing and trust your ears...and like Cliff said the right IR is critical to the final tone.and you need to get down in the weeds on the amp settings....the forum has become my second home....I use the 4x12 pre-Rola 75 m160 (ML).with the JVM...it's the dogs bollocks....happy tweaking dude.....

Last edited:
I find that when I listen to a clip posted here and then I download the preset and try it,.. it's typically much Brighter than the posted clip,.. so I adjust to taste,.. When I dial in patches at home they some how translate much brighter on location and I have tweak things there on the fly - I'm going to experiment with FracPad this weekend, but I was thinking about having some sort of Global EQ setting that I could engage that would compensate when I'm on location (?) ... just sort of thinking out loud here..

I find that when I listen to a clip posted here and then I download the preset and try it,.. it's typically much Brighter than the posted clip,.. so I adjust to taste,.. When I dial in patches at home they some how translate much brighter on location and I have tweak things there on the fly - I'm going to experiment with FracPad this weekend, but I was thinking about having some sort of Global EQ setting that I could engage that would compensate when I'm on location (?) ... just sort of thinking out loud here..
Does the room your demoing presets in have a hard floor...or carpet that may be a factor....it is for me ....I have to adjust for the envoirment.......

I think it's "In General" as I listen to clips at work, in the Car, at home... and they all usually sound pretty much consistent with each other.. (?) ..

Back
Top Bottom