Is there a consensus headphone choice?

the dual mini XLR's
A friend of mine bought LCD-2 recently and the seller left a terrible idea in his head that the "stock" cables are somehow not OK and he needs better ones.
Sounds like a total snake oil BS to me (along with the idea of XLRs for headphones in general) but what do I know.
Any idea/suggestion if there is really a need to replace stock cables?... Audiophile people have a weird way to mess with minds of those who bought hi-end stuff for the first time :)

I hate the weight and the dual mini XLR's, but they sound better than all the other quality headphones I own(ed).
The weight is enough for me to avoid them.

I use my BeyerDynamic DT990 Pros for everyday listening over the Sennheiser HD6XX that I use with my Axe-Fx 3 because the BeyerDynamics are more comfortable in long time use to the point I don't really notice they are on my head. I just have to use correction to flatten their frequency response since the DT990s have very hyped high end.

The Audeze LCD-2 seem to be twice the weight of either of my headphones.

A friend of mine bought LCD-2 recently and the seller left a terrible idea in his head that the "stock" cables are somehow not OK and he needs better ones.
Sounds like a total snake oil BS to me (along with the idea of XLRs for headphones in general) but what do I know.
Any idea/suggestion if there is really a need to replace stock cables?... Audiophile people have a weird way to mess with minds of those who bought hi-end stuff for the first time :)
I read all that back when I purchased, unidirectional cabling that’s oxygen free. I think it’s a scam, YMMV.

unidirectional cabling that’s oxygen free. I think it’s a scam
I'm quite positive it is a scam, as most of the audiophile-"grade" discussion, but I can be wrong with this. I don't understand why XLR is needed for headphones and what difference can it make, but oh well

I'm quite positive it is a scam, as most of the audiophile-"grade" discussion, but I can be wrong with this. I don't understand why XLR is needed for headphones and what difference can it make, but oh well
I suppose they are easier to repair over the long term than requiring disassembly of a part known to break on headphones.

It's an audiophile selling point. I had no idea mini XLR even existed but it has that "big and reliable" look to it. Just being able to make a claim for its noise reduction properties is enough to put audiophiles at ease about the purity of their tone. Unidirectional silver cables or whatever are the same thing.

There's a lot of bollocks like this in audiophile stuff but ultimately the overall product is still really good so it's not to the detriment of it.

I suppose they are easier to repair over the long term than requiring disassembly of a part known to break on headphones.
Detachable cables on headphones are a solid win, because they do break more often than the phones themselves.
You don't need high dollar phones to get that though, mid-priced Audio-Technica have it, for instance.

Last edited:
The weight is enough for me to avoid them.

I use my BeyerDynamic DT990 Pros for everyday listening over the Sennheiser HD6XX that I use with my Axe-Fx 3 because the BeyerDynamics are more comfortable in long time use to the point I don't really notice they are on my head. I just have to use correction to flatten their frequency response since the DT990s have very hyped high end.

The Audeze LCD-2 seem to be twice the weight of either of my headphones.
They are heavy because the magnets are like twice the size as normal phones. They have very comfortable cushions which helps and I attached a second headband cushion made from a cushioned guitar strap. I really don't think about the weight while playing.

Not sure if I’m going tangential, but I can verify that switching my FutureSonic IEMs from the stock cables to balanced “hi-res” cables DID make an audible difference — increased clarity overall and better L/R channel separation.

NOT snake oil on this occasion.

I bought the Ollo Audio s4x after perusing this thread and I gotta say, they’re remarkably close to what I hear coming out of my A7X monitors. My Beyerdynamic 770 Pro was fine with an EQ correction curve, and pretty comfortable, but they were fatiguing my ears after long hours of use - especially because I felt like I had to drive them hard to sound good. That is not the case with these at all, and I haven’t used a correction curve so far. I was ready for something new and this community answered the call as usual. Kudos

Back
Top Bottom