Is there a consensus headphone choice?

Quick update: I think what I like about these ollo audio headphones is that you can hear the “production” very clearly (spacing, timbre, issues).

That’s exactly what I was hoping for as these are for primarily for mixing.

Next, is to learn the specific differences between these and the monitors on mixes.

Quick update: I think what I like about these ollo audio headphones is that you can hear the “production” very clearly (spacing, timbre, issues).

Next, is to learn the specific differences between these and the monitors on mixes.
That what I also like about my Ollo Audio Headphones.

So, I used a totally unusual style of headphones at a pro gig last week because they were all I had, and they worked GREAT: Apple AirPod Max!
The application was tweaking presets during loud soundcheck/rehearsals.
Their tone was reliably if just a little bass heavy, but the seriously good external noise cancelling feature more than made up for this detail.

I was able to switch settings on the wireless pack between the guitar by itself and the band mix and really hear what I needed to hear to get the job done well. I will still use my Blue MixFi for everyday use, but the features of the Apple phones were perfect for this setting.
More importantly, is it true they mess your hair up less that the MixFi's?

How have you adjusted to the new Ollos?

How have you adjusted to the new Ollos?

Love them. Keepers!

Very detailed sound stage. Imaging is the best I’ve heard.

Large 50mm driver holds up under volume and is still crisp and unhyped.

More comfortable than they look.

Exactly what I wanted. Cord is a bit short at 6’ for me.

I have a love-hate relationship with my ears, and I need something that doesn’t color my hearing (any further than the damage I endure already).

Thanks for asking 👍❤️🙏

Last edited:
Love them. Keepers!

Very detailed sound stage. Imaging is the best I’ve heard.

Large 50mm driver holds up under volume and is still crisp and unhyped.

More comfortable than they look.

Exactly what I wanted. Cord is a bit short at 6’ for me.

I have a love-hate relationship with my ears, and I need something that doesn’t color my hearing (any further than the damage I endure already).

Thanks for asking 👍❤️🙏
Awesome! Think I may need to purchase a pair now :cool:

Got the Ollo S4X recently. Super nice. Only thing I don't love is that the ear cups are small and don't cover my entire ear like HD650 did.

Got the Ollo S4X recently. Super nice. Only thing I don't love is that the ear cups are small and don't cover my entire ear like HD650 did.
The S5x, if it was even a tiny fraction smaller - would not work for me. Right on the edge for fit.

How do you find the sound differs between the Ollo and HD650? I currently use HD660, which I really like, but since I'm spending considerably more time using headphones than I anticipated when I purchased them, I'm considering trying something new.

HD650 user here as well. Picked them up few months ago and really enjoy them. Curious as well what your observations are between the Ollo and HD650.

How do you find the sound differs between the Ollo and HD650? I currently use HD660, which I really like, but since I'm spending considerably more time using headphones than I anticipated when I purchased them, I'm considering trying something new.

I'm no expert, but I definitely prefer the Ollo. Just seems like a better soundstage, better highs, and I can discern things in the mix better. The HD650 is really good when paired up with Sonarworks SoundID, but I still prefer the Ollo. And so far I've been using the Ollo without EQ correction.

Heres my take on my headphone journey

Focal Elex
sennheiser HD650S
sennheiser HD660S
sennheiser HD800S

Found holy grail for the price - simply amazing - the Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 IEM's - wow not cheap but worth every penny

Cheaper than sennheiser HD800S but a ton better all around - bass was terrible - a bit of a pia keeping them in ear properly - but Ill figure that out

Got Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 on ebay for 875$ other than my fractal best money I ever spent

Asked ebay seller if they were better than sennheiser HD800S - he said he had them and said the Theiaudio is way better - boy he was right

Highs - mids - lows - are excellent - very surprised how good the bass sounds and plays nicely with the Highs and lows

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334523143259?hash=item4de322145b:g:SisAAOSwdlJi7B8l&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoO7aI4F3J5KABHCU9goy567Psrj6Ax2iwDIJT9DBDVkYsuFHELWBPRrjzA+JISyTjbgnrEpgVQoMl2ptkS1wQGEUvIaTv69fBTu+i/zsDXAtGcUb151ic7Ctmke1fwmS2cuezpbl+pia7TiOtJNSRpsu8AqMCS5/bvWBJDsQ8BrwsOPo0UFslugJ9yxCVPIlSmUShvNJXL4J0M1VelCG3v8=|tkp:Bk9SR_K74OLTYQ

https://bloomaudio.com/products/thi...f_MNMMUxnxwWqdKfODDDJIDBuyrwhWMhoCea4QAvD_BwE

===========================================================================

Last edited:
I use headphones and IEMs very frequently. Currently have
HD555 - meh
HD650 - good all rounder, with a bit of eq is flat and translates well to other speaker systems
Hifiman Arya planar headphones- Amazing soundstage and just a lot of fun to play through. I don’t know if I’d use it for anything analytical. Pricey $$$$. Audeze LCD 2 is another planar I’ve tried and also really fun.
UE 7 CIEM : Workhorse for live, but I don’t get a good seal and lose bass response.
Sensaphonics 2Max CIEM : Extremely good seal, very balanced sound, my go to for live and rehearsals.

I highly recommend the Ollo Audio S4X.
I've been considering them. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, which are my favorite, and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro which are my go-to when I want closed-back phones. I also have the Blue Mix-Fi, which sound good but are HEAVY, and the construction is iffy.

Everything I heard about the Ollo S4X has been positive, so I guess I need to bite the bullet and sell the DT and Mix-Fi.

Ollo S4X are by far the best headphones I’ve ever used for this purpose. They even beat the $1k Audeze LCD-X for me in terms of accuracy, clarity and tightness in the bass, etc. Here’s the frequency response of my particular pair:

View attachment 95000

A distant second are Sennheiser HD600. Everything else under $500 I’ve tried competes for a very distant third (ATH, beyerdynamic, etc). I am able to successfully dial in tones for live and studio use with these cans. Music is unbelievably clear, the clarity in the bass is incredible where it's just a wall of flubby mud in other cans. After dropping them several times because I’m clumsy, one of the drivers was damaged and even though I bought them second hand they covered the shipping and repair all the way to Slovenia from the USA with a total turnaround time of ~2 weeks.

Cannot recommend this company highly enough.
Do you use a compensating EQ? Their response looks pretty flat but it looks like it'd be easy to make them even flatter.

Do you use a compensating EQ? Their response looks pretty flat but it looks like it'd be easy to make them even flatter.
I don’t compensate the EQ but you can do it easily. You will get a very accurate measurement for every pair. So it’s easy to dial in a parametric eq.

I love my Ollo S4X and I would never ever trade them for other headphone.

I don’t compensate the EQ but you can do it easily. You will get a very accurate measurement for every pair. So it’s easy to dial in a parametric eq.

I love my Ollo S4X and I would never ever trade them for other headphone.
I’m feeling the same way about the S5x

No correction software required

👍❤️🙏

Back
Top Bottom