Is the MFC 101 Mark I ok for the Axe II?

jmcorey

Hi all,

Still new to this Axe Fx business. I need to get a foot controller to play live.

I have the Axe Fx II Mark II. A local store has the MFC 101 Mark I, I guess the first model, for sale.

Are these any good? Any reason they won't work well for my Axe unit? What would I be missing should I get this instead of a Mark II or Mark III MFC unit?

Thanks,

Joe

It will work fine - the main thing you will miss is the FASLink connection, but you can still use Ethercon or MIDI.

I use 7 pin MIDI with mine as I have had some issues with Ethernet

It will work fine - the main thing you will miss is the FASLink connection, but you can still use Ethercon or MIDI.

I use 7 pin MIDI with mine as I have had some issues with Ethernet

Does this mean that you just use a midi cable between the MFC101 and the Axe? I don't know anything about MIDI programming, so I find that intimidating.

Does this mean that you just use a midi cable between the MFC101 and the Axe? I don't know anything about MIDI programming, so I find that intimidating.

Standard MIDI cable will work (5 pin) for communication. 7pin MIDI cable for communication + phantom power the MFC as well.
No need for any programming regarding this.

Or you can go for a standard Ethernet cable for communication and phantom power from AXE-FX to MFC. Ethernet cables are rather flimsy though...

The Ethernet cable is the easiest and will control the AxeFx and will power the MFC101.

To do firmware updates you will need a power supply and midi cable.

There is also a paid utility that a forum member created that makes programming the MFC a breeze.

I believe is a sticky under the MFC section on the forum and well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom