Is the Helix in compatition for the FX8?

The tech specs are readily available...though the specs alone would not lead me to a definitive conclusion of course.

They said that these Helix the efx has new algorithms....
So I supose that will be better.
Because the m13/m9/m5 unites the effects I think that was too mid-scope ranged....

I had the m13 line6 unit and the m9...
In bass that is the instrumento that I play all the effects was kind in a mid-range EQ. Even If i use EQ "block" or configure it to a less mid-range sound.
And wasn't a natural effect. Sounded too digital.
The FAS effects sounds natural (or more natural comparing to the old line 6 units).
In this new Helium from Line 6 with new algorithms on the effects let's see if has somehow a natural sound like FAS...

I too owned the line 6 M13 as well as the HD500X.....after hearing and playing through an AXE-FX2 I knew the Line 6 stuff would never do even if the FAS was priced considerably higher. There would have to be a quantum improvement in sound quality IMO for there to be much of a meaningful comparison but who knows, perhaps Yamaha will infuse Line 6 with some + mojo as the new owners. Then again I would imagine the Helix has been on the drawing board and developmental stages prior to any Yamaha input.

And who knows if the Helix will be constant updadeted from Line6? Like FAS release new firmwares all the time in AxeFX and soon on FX8 (I hope)...
I think that they'll release the Helix and will release minimum firmware updates... like they always do.

No. The FX8 is a multifx unit with boutique quality effects intended to be used in front or with four cable method in conjunction with (preferably) a tube amplifier.

The other is "the new Pod"

If I had no gear (no amp), I might gravitate towards the Helix. However, I have yet to hear either unit so there's no fair way for me to properly review and evaluate yet.

The lack of a protective bar directly in back of the control knobs on the Helix bother's me. Line 6 refers to the Helix as being "tour grade"....? really? I wonder how many days/weeks it would last on tour in a good case before the control knobs have issues.

I'm most suspicious of the effects. They have been repackaging THE same delays from the green box since 1999. The oscillation have always sounded like garbage to me. The packaging and functionality looks amazing.
I also thought the m13 was amazing in it's architecture but it sounded bad. The delays and pitch shifter would need to be a serious upgrade to compete at all with Fractal or Strymon.

The lack of a protective bar directly in back of the control knobs on the Helix bother's me. Line 6 refers to the Helix as being "tour grade"....? really? I wonder how many days/weeks it would last on tour in a good case before the control knobs have issues.

I think the whole aesthetic ïs more consumer than pro audio "tour grade". But in L6's favor, if you used one on tour and it failed, you could rush out to the local GC or whatever music store, in whatever city you're in, and pick up a new one for the next night. Just have your presets backed up.

From what I've seen, I think Line 6 knocked the user interface out of the park on the Helix. I just replaced my HD500 with the FX8 and all I have to say is Line 6 had better improve its modulation effects because there is no comparison. I struggled getting a phaser and flanger effect that I was happy with out of the HD500 and Line 6's vibe has always been atrocious. In addition, IMO the HD500, felt dull and lifeless. The FX8 feels like you are running through a real pedal board. That being said, there are some things on the FX8 that need improvement like being able to configure the pedalboard effects locations independent of the signal chain.

No one has really tested the Helix...
If they changed the algorithms of the effects as they said they do... It could be really interested to see this in the near future.
But if is the same as the HD or with just "some new stuffs"... I would think that they will fail a lot with this product in the price range that they are telling...

Back
Top Bottom