Is the Axe-FX right for my situation?

wannabe-hack

Hello all,

New guy here and late to the party as usual. I've debated for a long time getting an Axe-FX and always came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary, or so I've tried to convince myself of this. Well, naturally I've heard all the great things about it and many of the clips on youtube and I just keep coming back to it. My situation is unique from most here I'm sure. I don't gig, don't record (for now anyways), and haven't played with anyone in years. I'm simply a bedroom warrior. I just love to play as a hobby and for fun. So, I'm basically just looking for something that sounds great at low to moderate volumes and would like somewhat of a small portable setup that I can put anywhere in my home. Currently, I own a Mesa/Boogie Mark V head with a 4x12 mesa cab that is way overkill for my situation as it is. I just love the fact that so many great amp-sounds are within one little box and of course the high quality effects. So, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd be better off with an Axe-FX.

If I were to get one, would it be best in my situation to get a pair of high quality moniter speakers vs. a setup with a power amp (art sla2 for example) with my 4x12 cab? Or should I consider some of the "Atomic" products? Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wannabe-hack said:
Hello all,

New guy here and late to the party as usual. I've debated for a long time getting an Axe-FX and always came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary, or so I've tried to convince myself of this. Well, naturally I've heard all the great things about it and many of the clips on youtube and I just keep coming back to it. My situation is unique from most here I'm sure. I don't gig, don't record (for now anyways), and haven't played with anyone in years. I'm simply a bedroom warrior. I just love to play as a hobby and for fun. So, I'm basically just looking for something that sounds great at low to moderate volumes and would like somewhat of a small portable setup that I can put anywhere in my home. Currently, I own a Mesa/Boogie Mark V head with a 4x12 mesa cab that is way overkill for my situation as it is. I just love the fact that so many great amp-sounds are within one little box and of course the high quality effects. So, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd be better off with an Axe-FX.

If I were to get one, would it be best in my situation to get a pair of high quality moniter speakers vs. a setup with a power amp (art sla2 for example) with my 4x12 cab? Or should I consider some of the "Atomic" products? Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMHO axe-fx would just be perfect for you
I would use a pair of good nearfield speakers like Adam or Dynaudio (of course IMHO, YMMV)

+1
Axe sounds perfect for your situation.
If I was a bedroom warrior I would have the Axe and a powered Atomic wedge...that's it.
I love gigging with my Axe, but I love it even more in my rehearsal studio. Playing around with the unlimited effects and amp combinations is the perfect bedroom warrior set up (IMO).

I use my Ultra with a set of Event 20/20 bas powered monitors. They sound so good at low volumes. I just sold a bunch of 100 watt amps and cabs. You just don't need em anymore. I'm waiting for the powered wedges to come back in stock thats what I will use live. The axe is a win/win. It will take you from :( to this :D .

I'm in your situation. The Axe is perfect for the bedroom. I play mine through some giant 70's stereo speakers and it sounds great. It also sounds good through my amp.

I have owned the other modelers, the Axe is clearly the best.

JWW

If you have the coin I would go for an FR solution, Atomic or the like and be done. The Axe is perfect for the bedroom playing situation killer tones at low volumes.

Just a counter-thought... hack, have you tried any Line 6 stuff..?

Of course, it's not in the same league as the Axe-FX, but it's ok for what it is. There's plenty in there to keep you amused without going to the considerable expense attached to one of these babies

If the Line 6 stuff really doesn't do anything for you at all, then there's nowhere left to go and of course if you can afford it anyway, then go for your life, but I just thought I'd offer this to the mix :)

I would like to thank all who have responded! You have helped me make the decision to order one. Now, I just need to decide rather to go with a pair of moniter speakers as some have suggested or get a powered atomic wedge...(or maybe even both?) I know the powered atomic wedge would come in handy on the event if I wanted to play out with someone. How would it sound at lower volumes....anyone know?

Welcome to the club!!

Powered speakers or powered wedges or even both...that's really a matter of personal taste,
no matter what you decide I am sure you'll be happy with
since you'd be able to get most of your AxeFx by using its amp and cab sims.
I have played my Ultra through MANY different powered wedges on different stages
and it's always sounded great, different here and there due different wedges but really, really great. :)

I'm also thinking seriously about placing an order for an Ultra. If the Ultra is only going to be paired with studio monitors, do you still need a power amp? One last question: For bedroom playing at low volume levels, would it be better to get passive wedges or powered wedges?

Econ said:
I'm also thinking seriously about placing an order for an Ultra. If the Ultra is only going to be paired with studio monitors, do you still need a power amp? One last question: For bedroom playing at low volume levels, would it be better to get passive wedges or powered wedges?

I have a pair of lil Fostex powered monitiors which are fine for home/low volume. Normally studio monitors have amps in them so you only need to feed line level signal direct from the axe. If your gonna go for the Atomic Wedges I'd get the powered ones (money and back ie weight) permitting as their power section is designed to complement the Axe/Wedge. Bare in mind 'tube' maintence and more care needs to be taken when transporting though as with any tube amp.

FWIW I use a QSC GX3 power amp (similar idea to the Art SLA) in to a Yamaha 15" PA speaker/wedge for my high volume stuff, sounds fine but would get the Atomic if my daughter didn't insist on spending all my money on 'girly' stuff lol.

Mark

I have been looking into possibility of getting the Ultra too. I am in the same situation and just developing my skills at the moment. I have been done with digital modelers and though they have come a long way now, they still don't please my ears. I just hear this digital fuzz that I decided never to go back and got my Triaxis / GForce last year to get that warmth of a tube. I don't have power amps still but I am just recording direct for practicing so its good for now.

I have been looking at Ultra samples/ videos and reading a lot of reviews lately, I have forgotten to practice guitar, GAS problem I guess. Anyway, my question here is I have a local made cab (?) with cheap 2x12 speakers and only has a line-in. Its not powered. Will Ultra work with this or do we need to get a power amp as well? My triaxis didn't work as its only a preamp. I suspect I read somewhere Ultra is also much like a preamp. From what I understand from the answers you have given, it does require some sort of powered speakers.

ESP MM-270 said:
Will Ultra work with this or do we need to get a power amp as well?

For listening 'live' then yes, SS Amp/Valve Power Amp/Powered Monitor will be required.

For recording, no, entire signal chain (apart from the guitar itself lol) is very highly emulated.

I've had my Ultra running different ways, small powered studio monitors, Marshall EL34 50/50 power amp to 4X12 cab to my current config of SS power amp to full range wedge monitor which since firmware V9x is buy far the best and easyist way to get decent tone.

ESP MM-270 said:
My triaxis didn't work as its only a preamp. I suspect I read somewhere Ultra is also much like a preamp.

In the sence that both output at 'line level' yes but the AXE FX is the complete signal chain at line level to you can record direct (digitally if you have the equipment to avoid digital to analogue coversions and back).

Mark

Thanks ESP. I will probably get a powered studio monitors for recording purposes then and feed to PA in live situations, if that time comes. :)

Thanks for the help. I have the money for the Ultra, but need to save for the poweramp and the monitors.

Is the Axe-FX right for your situation?

Only one question: Do you play guitar?

If the answer is yes, the Axe-Fx is right for your situation.

Lopp said:
Is the Axe-FX right for your situation?

Only one question: Do you play guitar?

If the answer is yes, the Axe-Fx is right for your situation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is the perfect ad for the Axe.

I've tried a few of the low-budget ( < $500) solutions... computer speakers (albeit fairly expensive ones), headphones and a rolls amp, In-Ear monitors (SCL 3's), etc... NOTHING compares to the Atomic wedge. Spend the money and you will not regret it. IMO, a single Atomic Wedge is THE perfect solution for the bedroom warrior. They just sound so damn good.

Back
Top Bottom