Is the Axe FX 2 the same sound quality as the XL?

Thanks for all the responses and opinions guys. Reading here, it looks like the Mark II will have the same tones and stuff the XL has. So I will just get the Mark II/MFC bundle. Thanks!

I just bought my Mark II a few weeks back and really wish they offered that deal when I bought mine! I don't think you can go wrong buying it that way and I would have bought the bundle also.

Hi all,
I'm new to Fractal and the Forum, so apologies in advance for any knucklehead statements & inadvertent etiquette slippage. After countless hours debating whether to get an Axe-FX or not, I've decided I'm wasting too much mental energy torturing myself and I should just go for it.

Similar to the OP, I'm a weekend warrior guitar player who may one day leave the bedroom to play at an open mic. Hence, I'm no touring musician.
Based on the feedback in this threat, I too have decided that for my needs, the Axe FX II is sufficient.

A simple follow-up question or two:
What else do I need to buy? Let's assume that I will buy the MFC-101 & MarkII bundle (though I really don't need such a robust controller). That means I need the Faslink XA-1 adapter and an Ethercon. The website says "Ethernet/Ethercon" so could I simply use a regular old ethernet cable? I have plenty of standard XLR cables lying around, so would be set on that front.

Let's also assume that I'm getting rid of my prized modded Mesa DR (http://rvrb.io/dual-rectifier-pre-5jv) and so will need a power amp. No need to recommend anything on that front, as I know there are plenty of other threads on the topic, and it seems to come down to a Matrix GT1000 anyway for simple needs like my own. While I'm selling my Mesa DR, I am keeping the 1x12 recto cab.

Thanks in advance. Excited to become an Axe-FX nerd.

^1. You can use the ethercon cable and not need a faslink, the mfc has both connections
B. Screw the dr, get the matrix and the 1x12 recto will sound awesome, hell get a second cab, the axe sounds so good in stereo PS. I highly recomend the mfc, I had a gcp and thought it would be good enough but the expression pedals had some serious delay and lag when using them and scenes is to great of a feature to not use.

^1. You can use the ethercon cable and not need a faslink, the mfc has both connections
B. Screw the dr, get the matrix and the 1x12 recto will sound awesome, hell get a second cab, the axe sounds so good in stereo PS. I highly recomend the mfc, I had a gcp and thought it would be good enough but the expression pedals had some serious delay and lag when using them and scenes is to great of a feature to not use.

Thanks, good to know. It wasn't clear to me that the XA-1 was not required (I don't need phantom power, wall wart is no issue).

Haha, the DR is beastly after my Platinum Voodoo mod which cost probably more than the stock head itself. But space and such is a consideration and I'm at a stage where simplifying my setup is psychically cathartic. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Good to know on the MFC as well.

Much appreciated!

Thanks to all for the responses.

I pulled the trigger and decided to go with the Mark II / MFC combo. I'll find some other use for my RJM Mastermind. As for power amp, I went a different route and thought of trying the Magnum 44, which seems good for my purposes and seemingly outstanding value. If it sucks for whatever reason with my rig or if I end up needing something more, I'll keep this as a spare.

Looking forward to being part of the FAS family and getting my learning and playing on!

Thanks again
S

Back
Top Bottom