Is Steve Vai the best ambassador for Fractal Audio Systems ?

[Steve Vai] also makes me want to make my guitar into a lamp.

Hehe! Yeah, I know what you mean. But, to me he's sort of a techno-thriller - fascinating, but not as musical as I'd like. Yngwie is the same way. You can't help but be impressed and even intimidated by their prowess, but there's no memory of it after you've heard it. It just seems... sterile. Maybe it's just me, but if I can't remember what someone has done 5 minutes later, then it has no lasting value.

He's very famous and very flattering and uses the product. But until he ditches the Carvin tube amps and goes 100% Fractal you can't say he's the BEST ambassador. But of course he is a exceptionally great one to have.

Hehe! Yeah, I know what you mean. But, to me he's sort of a techno-thriller - fascinating, but not as musical as I'd like. Yngwie is the same way. You can't help but be impressed and even intimidated by their prowess, but there's no memory of it after you've heard it. It just seems... sterile. Maybe it's just me, but if I can't remember what someone has done 5 minutes later, then it has no lasting value.

Hmm, not musical? Who is musical if Vai isn't? Some of his experimental solo stuff is waaay out there, but I can remember all his solos and riffs from the David Lee Roth albums and Whitesnake, and about every note from Passion and Warfare too. I think For the Love of God is one of the best instrumental guitar songs of all time.

Steve is a great guy and musician, but what has he done since Passion and Warfare that anyone cares about? He's fallen off the map, even amongst guitarists. To be the best ambassador, he'd need to stretching beyond guitarist circles and exposing the product to the masses, like U2 and Metallica are.

Steve is a great guy and musician, but what has he done since Passion and Warfare that anyone cares about? He's fallen off the map, even amongst guitarists. To be the best ambassador, he'd need to stretching beyond guitarist circles and exposing the product to the masses, like U2 and Metallica are.

Do you think the masses really care about guitar gear? Especially a rack mount processor? It's not like you can see them when you go to a show like Marshall or Boogie 4x12's.

Just because a big band uses a product does not mean it will have a big impact. I would say someone who is a tube amp purist, like Eric Johnson or John Petrucci using it exclusively for their amps would have the biggest impact. Does The Edge from U2 have a signature guitar? I'm not even sure. Does John Petrucci have a signature guitar? Yeah you see them everywhere used by many different types of guitar players.

Last edited:

Vai is a great artist. However, I'm in a bit of agreement here (and with Yngwie too). I love what he does, in small doses and select songs, but I can run out of steam on the 'how many notes can I fit into a second' pyrotechnics. It's more of a showcase than an 'I'm going to make you FEEL something'. GRANTED THIS IS NOT FOR EVERY SONG, there are many that I do love and listen to quite a bit, but FOR ME I lost musicality when a solo is 2 minutes long, and the longest note is a 1/64th.

But he can be a very melodic player who uses FX incredibly well. And excellent ambassador.

I think Steve and Thomas were looking to simplify the effects side of Steve's rig Axe. The fact that he mentions it is a testmate to it's worth as a tool that get's the job done. I don't think it makes him the best ambassador for the Axe FX but surly one of the most prominent ones.

Steve is a great guy and musician, but what has he done since Passion and Warfare that anyone cares about? He's fallen off the map, even amongst guitarists. .....

I think its more of a case of him developing beyond guitar heroics and posing. I see him as more of a composer and performer rather than just a guitarist. The guitar is what he made his name with, but if you listen to what he's done over the last decade, it's more about composition, arrangement and going outside the box of mainstream. I happen to really enjoy it because its different and frankly I'm just done with all the wanking that everybody seems to think they still need to do.

The masses of non-guitarists NEED TO KNOW about Fractal products! :confusion:

And I think Alien Love Secrets was Vai's best work.

Back
Top Bottom