Is something wrong with my Axe FX 2?

Kdogg14

I just performed the system upgrade to 7.00 everything went smooth as far as installation goes. When I got the message to turn off power and power up in 5 seconds I did. When I turned the unit back on all the lights on input and status are on and my screen is blank........ What should I do. I already turned the power off waited a few seconds and turned the power on again and this still happens. I'm getting worried.

this happens from time to time. most i've ever had to power cycle is 3 times.

it should come back. let us know.

Now I'm getting nervous! I did this 6 times and still nothing. Screen still blank. I don't care if I have to do a system rest or something along that line if it will solve my problem.

Does it look like this?

1031258.jpg

If so (or really even if not), Email support. Mine froze up while in the middle of playing a couple of weeks ago, and after lots of trouble shooting (and turning it off & on about a million times -haha), I had to send it back to Fractal. My replacement will be here Monday (can't wait to try 7.00!).

Before you contact support though, try these 2 things (if they don't work, let support know in your Email that you already tried them so time isn't wasted):

- From the owner's manual under "Troubleshooting": "....try holding RECALL while you boot the unit to reset the "edit buffer". This will load an EMPTY preset, but won't affect any of your saved settings."

- Suggestion I got from Marty at support after I Emailed them: "Please try disconnecting everything from the unit except power and let me know if that works. Sometimes there can be spurious MIDI data from a computer that can cause the unit to lockup during boot."

Like I said, these didn't help me, but maybe you'll have better luck. If you do have to contact them, support is great and was very fast with replying to me (and this was on a Saturday). Good luck.

NUTS! Tried your suggestions above and still nothing. I'll give support a call tomorrow at work.

Threads like this makes me getting heart attacks each time I turn my unit on and waiting that 1-2second delay in the powerup process. My musical life flashing before my eyes in those 2 seconds.
A friend help me buy my unit and now I'm way off in south China, way off from any support.
Pray you get yours sorted, pray mine keep living a healthy AXE life

Threads like this makes me getting heart attacks each time I turn my unit on and waiting that 1-2second delay in the powerup process. My musical life flashing before my eyes in those 2 seconds.
A friend help me buy my unit and now I'm way off in south China, way off from any support.

Imagine how it was for me. I had barely had mine 2 weeks and hadn't yet gotten around to saving my presets on the computer before the freeze happened. I lost everything I had worked on (maybe for the the best though since version 7.00 is supposed to be a big change - I'll just look at it as starting fresh :)).

Imagine how it was for me. I had barely had mine 2 weeks and hadn't yet gotten around to saving my presets on the computer before the freeze happened. I lost everything I had worked on (maybe for the the best though since version 7.00 is supposed to be a big change - I'll just look at it as starting fresh :)).

Gaaahh.. dont say things like that... Im nerve wrecked as is from time to time after these posts.. Gotta see if they have a AXE Buddha mini statue I can buy here to pray and give offerings to ;)

- Suggestion I got from Marty at support after I Emailed them: "Please try disconnecting everything from the unit except power and let me know if that works. Sometimes there can be spurious MIDI data from a computer that can cause the unit to lockup during boot."
So, Is there a way to avoid this issue. Like, for e.g. Removing the USB connecting the AxeFx from your computer when you reset or boot up the unit?
I'm scared should I get into any of these........it was a hell of an ordeal getting one reach me in the first place, and GOD forbid it I ever need to run around for support is something very far from what I'd look forward to!!
(Perhaps, there could be a way for the software to avoid this issue if the above is true, which is to enable the USB port on the unit only after all init states are completed......)

Thanks for your support! I'm telling you guys thank god it's Friday. I could hardly sleep last night because of this. My unit is only 4 months old and unfortunately I don't even get to use it as much as I would like to. It's been that kind of week. Earlier this week my 3 month old Carvin decided to crap out on me. Called support and have another electronic board being sent to me as it was determined the board went bad. Now this! I really feel like a black cloud is following me and it's raining outside right now LOL. I know that FAS will take care of me but in the future I am going to be a nervous wreck every time I turn the power on. My only concern is the warranty. I'm covered right now thank god, but what if this happens a year or two from now. Sorry for my babbling. Hopefully, support emails me later today. I'm definitely having a few drinks when I get home from work tonight.

I'm curious if this is a power supply issue. The power supply is an available computer-type part that can be purchased from places like Mouser. If you are outside the US, it might be easier to get the power supply, IF that's what causes this issue.

I'm curious if this is a power supply issue. The power supply is an available computer-type part that can be purchased from places like Mouser. If you are outside the US, it might be easier to get the power supply, IF that's what causes this issue.

According to this thread (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/52945-my-axe-fx-ii-just-died.html) there are some people who've had issues as described above and the PSU seem to fixed it. I have exactly the same issue and G66 send me a new PSU (it has not arrived yet). This was after I heard a loud pop and my Axe-Fx 2 did not respond to anything anymore.

Hmm..
Loud pop and power supply no good.
Sound like the PS filter cap may be under rated for the current draw, or just bad luck ;)

My Ultra did the same thing after a firmware update once. It was a corrupt eprom on mine. Support sent me a new one and has worked like a champ ever since. Good Luck

Update..... FAS contacted me via email. I am going to be sending my unit back to them. For anyone who had a problem with their axe fx2 and had to send it back, how long did it take to receive your repaired unit? Thanks

Update..... FAS contacted me via email. I am going to be sending my unit back to them. For anyone who had a problem with their axe fx2 and had to send it back, how long did it take to receive your repaired unit? Thanks

FAS sent me a new unit the very next day after receiving my defective one. It was to be decided if it was to be repaired or replaced upon arrival, but I have to assume the one coming back to me is new since it shipped out so quick. What took/is taking so long is UPS. I shipped it, and had it shipped back both on Tuesdays, and it takes 4 days travel time from/to where I live, so the weekend comes and I have to wait an extra 2 days for delivery on the next Monday.

So all in all from the time I shipped it, to when I'm getting it back, it will be 13 days, which isn't bad considering (seems like forever though -haha).

It sounds like your Axe-Fx is in the same shape mine was, so hopefully they will send you a new one immediately after yours arrives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom