Is needing a very low input level ok?

elegost

Hello,

Long time Ultra user, just got a new Axe Fx III.

Plugged in for the first time today and trying to set my input level properly.
I play a '93 PRS CE-24 with the old school HFS bridge/ VB neck pickup combo.
These are early 90s style hot pickups as far as I know, but they are not active.

I have the guitar strung with very thick strings, .012-.056.

I have to turn the input level down to about 4% to get the input levels where they are "tickling the red".

Is an input level below 5% normal? Is it ok? Do other people have to turn input level down this much? I can't be the only one playing hot pickups and thick strings.
I see something in the manual about input levels below 5% affecting gain. That doesn't sound good. .. .

Thanks for any help

50% is the original setting. I have mine set to 10%. I think below 5% can change tone, but with such a strong signal going in, it’s probably no issue.

I’m kind of surprised I have to have my Majesty Monarchy at 95 percent to tickle the red. Would have thought the pickups were hotter than that.

Last edited:
Looks like maybe the guitar just needed fresh batteries. Just got it on a trade for my Artisan and didn’t think to check the batteries. Now it’s at 25 percent and tickling the red.

I have Custom EVH Humbucker Alnico 2 at the bridge... I'm at 85%. It's a hot pickup....I basically always have to rest my palm lightly on the bridge to cancel the hum. I also don't hit the strings super heavily... that has a little to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom