Is my bass too boomy?

Depends if you are all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :) I agree it sounds punchy and great. Seems you have a perfect amount of bass for the recording IMO.

Fellas... when a guitarist asks "Is my bass too boomy"- whatever you do- NEVER say "yes"… or even "maybe just a bit". It's a trap…;)

"Congratulations! When is the baby due?"
"I'm not pregnant."
"Maybe it's just the dress that makes you look fat."

Need a second opinion on the bass.

Sitting here listening to it in my studio and can definitely hear two major problems.

There is way too much mud from 50Hz and below. Take a look at your bass heavy instruments and look at how you are hi-passing them.

The other problem is that there are too much highs in your mix. I'm hearing from roughly about 5kHz to 10kHz too much energy. I'd look at instruments that have information up in that area and try to tame them.

If this mix was sent to me as is and I was asked to master it, I'd pull up a low-shelve about -7dB at 50Hz and then I'd do a wide scoop of -3 or so dB at 7kHz. Other than that, it sounds pretty good. I might try some other tricks, but just hearing your mix and giving a rough EQ suggestion here on the forum, that's what I'd do.

Hope this helps.

With all respect, I'm curious what makes those problems 'major'. What results from these problems (e.g. ear fatigue), or are you just saying it could sound 'a lot better' if those frequencies were tamed?

I don't claim to have great or even good ears, and I put nowhere near as much thought or effort into tone or mixing as the rest of you but that clip sounded pretty good to me.

Sitting here listening to it in my studio and can definitely hear two major problems.

There is way too much mud from 50Hz and below. Take a look at your bass heavy instruments and look at how you are hi-passing them.

The other problem is that there are too much highs in your mix. I'm hearing from roughly about 5kHz to 10kHz too much energy. I'd look at instruments that have information up in that area and try to tame them.

If this mix was sent to me as is and I was asked to master it, I'd pull up a low-shelve about -7dB at 50Hz and then I'd do a wide scoop of -3 or so dB at 7kHz. Other than that, it sounds pretty good. I might try some other tricks, but just hearing your mix and giving a rough EQ suggestion here on the forum, that's what I'd do.

Hope this helps.

I've been meaning to say, even though its obvious, that you can't please everyone. What's important in the end is that the OP is happy. Oh and also, I really like metalgarret's various "help me" threads - always awesome advice in those.

Cut the bass for instant And Justice For All mix. The bass sounds great. The highs aren't a problem either. The only thing that stood out was that cymbal, a little too present. Maybe back it off a bit.

Personally I'd take a hair of bass freq off the guitar and give it to the Bass. Might be just me. But the part with just the Bass and no guitar sounded anemic.

With all respect, I'm curious what makes those problems 'major'. What results from these problems (e.g. ear fatigue), or are you just saying it could sound 'a lot better' if those frequencies were tamed?

I don't claim to have great or even good ears, and I put nowhere near as much thought or effort into tone or mixing as the rest of you but that clip sounded pretty good to me.

I've been meaning to say, even though its obvious, that you can't please everyone. What's important in the end is that the OP is happy. Oh and also, I really like metalgarret's various "help me" threads - always awesome advice in those.

Well, he asked for an opinion and I gave him my thoughts on the track. It was a great mix, but just to my ears I thought there could be a couple of tweaks made.

I'm not trying to piss on the guy's music. I was just trying to offer some advice.

To answer your question, yes, it was just my two cents on taking a great track and making it better. Better to who? To me. But everyone is entitled to love it or leave it.

I'm not looking to start crap. I'm actually about fed up with the crap that's been going down lately and I don't like negativity invading my life.

I try to help out. I get called on the carpet for it. I offer constructive criticism in another thread and I get passive aggressive replies back. I've about had it with this high school drama forum.

This will probably be my last post ever on this forum. I don't need no sympathy, I'm just going to step down from this soapbox now and head out. From now on, I'll just be checking Fractal's main page every now and then for the newest official firmware. It just sucks because I've been a member here for years now. Take care guys.

Always nice to see a fan. :) The forums have always been helpful.

But yeah I think it goes without saying that when it comes to taste in mix it's to each their own. But I asked because I wasn't sure if there was something more general that I wasn't hearing with the bass. Like something that no mix should ever have or not have. If everyone says the same thing then I should deal with that issue and fix it. If I get mixed reactions then I'd think it'd be up to me what to do with it since it's considered neither good or bad. In this case, it's how I decide. I like what I have but I'm open to make it better. So any advice anyone has is always welcomed. You can never learn enough.

Well, he asked for an opinion and I gave him my thoughts on the track. It was a great mix, but just to my ears I thought there could be a couple of tweaks made.

I'm not trying to piss on the guy's music. I was just trying to offer some advice.

To answer your question, yes, it was just my two cents on taking a great track and making it better. Better to who? To me. But everyone is entitled to love it or leave it.

I'm not looking to start crap. I'm actually about fed up with the crap that's been going down lately and I don't like negativity invading my life.

I try to help out. I get called on the carpet for it. I offer constructive criticism in another thread and I get passive aggressive replies back. I've about had it with this high school drama forum.

This will probably be my last post ever on this forum. I don't need no sympathy, I'm just going to step down from this soapbox now and head out. From now on, I'll just be checking Fractal's main page every now and then for the newest official firmware. It just sucks because I've been a member here for years now. Take care guys.

Dude honestly, I'm not having a go at you at all. I always find your posts helpful and really in depth an I have nothing against anything you said. I was honestly curious and just wanted to understand what you meant exactly. Sorry you feel run down by the negativity on the forum. Its definitely something to watch out for especially when your one of those guys that gives a lot more than you take.

Dude honestly, I'm not having a go at you at all. I always find your posts helpful and really in depth an I have nothing against anything you said. I was honestly curious and just wanted to understand what you meant exactly. Sorry you feel run down by the negativity on the forum. Its definitely something to watch out for especially when your one of those guys that gives a lot more than you take.

Well, I apologize for jumping the gun and making false assumptions. I will admit that I am a bit jumpy coming off my recent run-in with ML SOUND LAB. After that incident, I figured that I'd only make posts that are either helpful or positive (I even have to be careful with what I think are helpful posts because even those tend to incite people). That way I can avoid any arguments or drama. I just want my time on here to be enjoyable. Again, I'm sorry for lashing out at you.

Back
Top Bottom