Is John Mayer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the impression it isn't so much that JM videos are in his feed. It's that the influencers he tends to "like" are recognizing and covering one of the greatest musicians out there and insert reasons

Understandable. 15 year old metalhead me would have some choice words for 43 year old me enjoying music produced by a guy like John Mayer. Dude is a monster. Not my "go-to" music. But there's no denying he's operating on a different level.

The haters hate because he plays better than them, sings better than them, is better looking than them, writes better songs than them and gets more pussy than an animal shelter.

Most of the people that hate him are absolute hacks

C26C0C03-803F-498C-AB91-10AE01129DDA.jpeg

who exist to do nothing but prop up the music gear industry.

Basically it’s the same thing as hating Tom Brady, but with music instead of football.

Big Mayer fan here. From day one of hearing No Such Thing, I thought "who is this guy that sounds like a mix of Sting and SRV?"

He has evolved and expanded what he does. Some of the more "folky" recent stuff I prefer less than the earlier albums but still appreciate it.

I just purchased Sob Rock, so looking forward to diving into it!

I love sob rock, love how he uses light in his newest videos, love his 80's influences and his guitar playing. I only wish he would've invited Lukather or Joe Walsh or maybe even Landau or Larry Carlton over for some guest soloing. I also wish that he would've made last train home and shot in the dark a bit more dissimilar. Other than that, there's not much to dislike. Love the welcome to sob rock video he posted before the official release:

I first heard of him through some chick I was hooking up with when I was 18 or 19, she wanted me to learn “Your Body Is A Wonderland”. I didn’t pay attention to him at all after, just saw his career get huge. I just figured all his stuff was that slow, acoustic stuff and it didn’t interest me. Once I saw he was a gear nut I took some interest, but his music doesn’t do much for me still. Love the production on his albums, though. (From that I’ve heard)

Bunch of my Berklee buds knew him and my two best friends stayed in his former room. Everyone said he was fairly quiet and shy, but really OCD about stuff and was a neat freak.

Regardless, “Your Body Is A Wonderland” got me laid a bunch of times, so John Mayer is cool in my book.

Regardless, “Your Body Is A Wonderland” got me laid a bunch of times, so John Mayer is cool in my book.

A lot of guitarists are more concerned with music and the guitar gear and pay little to no attention to all the goodies that they could get along the way if they play the game right. You can rock out to Rush or Megadeth with your bros, but don't expect to get it from the fairer gender.

John is showing the young bucks how to effectively play the game, if they're willing to lower their musical standards a bit, and I hope they pay attention.

"I've loved seven other women and all were you"

That's some next level player shit! To us men, this sentence doesn't make sense, as we all know damn well that seven different women cannot be like one single woman. He's informing his gal of interest that he got it from seven other women, but wait.... he didn't cheat on her once, because all these women were only her. Sounds asinine, but if you're a guitar player, you can use even the most asinine statements to keep that "animal shelter" going, as Trev put it above.

John is not only teaching how to fish, he's putting that fishing rod (no pun intended) - angleworm included! - squarely in each guitarist's hands!

Last edited:
A lot of guitarists are more concerned with music and the guitar gear and pay little to no attention to all the goodies that they could get along the way if they play the game right. You can rock out to Rush or Megadeth with your bros, but don't expect to get it from the fairer gender.

John is showing the young bucks how to effectively play the game, if they're willing to lower their musical standards a bit, and I hope they pay attention.

"I've loved seven other women and all were you"

That's some next level player shit! To us men, this sentence doesn't make sense, as we all know damn well that seven different women cannot be like one single woman. He's informing his gal of interest that he got it from seven other women, but wait.... he didn't cheat on her once, because all these women were only her. Sounds asinine, but if you're a guitar player, you can use even the most asinine statements to keep that "animal shelter" going, as Trev put it above.

John is not only teaching how to fish, he's putting that fishing rod (no pun intended) - angleworm included! - squarely in each guitarist's hands!

While I won’t argue with any of that, I’ve been on the metal side of things since the late 90’s. The chicks who were into dudes like John Mayer can’t compete with the metal chicks. Sure, it was fun to just play some cheesy song and then do the snuggle thing that ends up turning to banging, but when my metal band was gaining some traction here in South Florida in the mid 00’s, there was none of that snuggling crap or playing songs I didn’t like, we played prog-metal, got paid for it and every set break there was some willing chick who looked like she was getting ready for a Suicide Girls photo shoot waiting to share her drugs and body in the bathroom, behind the bar or in a car.

Korn, Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Tool….they all opened the door for bands like Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, In Flames, etc to step up in the 00’s with a bit more heaviness…..and all those goth/scene chicks followed. It was enough that by 2007 I thought “I’ve had my fun, it’s time to settle down.”. Now I’m waiting for my divorce to finalize and I’m looking at the landscape out there and ugh……one of my favorite parts about being married was knowing I wouldn’t have to deal with the single life anymore.

Hell, we don’t even have live venues to play at down here anymore. Haven’t been down to the beach post-covid, but we lost most of our live venues well before covid and the live local music scene just shit the bed. All my former methods of picking up chicks have gone out the window and now I’m pushing 40. Thankfully, I’m a healthy dude and look a lot younger than I am….if it weren’t for the fucking gray/white hair!

For the personal record, my fishing rod does not fit squarely in my guitarist hand. It's more of an oval/circular design.

Just wanted to clarify prior to this thread going off the rails on the last train home.

#TooLate

While I won’t argue with any of that, I’ve been on the metal side of things since the late 90’s. The chicks who were into dudes like John Mayer can’t compete with the metal chicks. Sure, it was fun to just play some cheesy song and then do the snuggle thing that ends up turning to banging, but when my metal band was gaining some traction here in South Florida in the mid 00’s, there was none of that snuggling crap or playing songs I didn’t like, we played prog-metal, got paid for it and every set break there was some willing chick who looked like she was getting ready for a Suicide Girls photo shoot waiting to share her drugs and body in the bathroom, behind the bar or in a car.

C'mon, this isn't Huge Racks Inc. Whatever state you're in now, this is no way to talk about women, on this forum.

Hated his early corny "sensitive" stuff, but he got my attention with Bigger Than My Body, which I still think is pretty cool. Since then I've heard a lot of really great guitar playing from him. He's all right in my book.

It's certainly interesting that most John Mayer discussions about his talent almost always turn into a discussion about how many "chicks" he can pull with said talent.

Frankly, I think a lot of dudes hate the guy cause he makes them feel weird in the pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom