Is it worth swapping QSCs for FBTs??

rmbaylin

Inspired
Seems like nothing can beat the 12ma these days in the FRFR world. I bought a pair of QSC 122's and they have been really pretty good for me. I keep one at home and one at practice. But I am finding these guys to be very heavy to move now days.

So from a sonic perspective alone, is it worth it to move over to the FBT 12ma? I bought the QSC at a good price and would likely get a decent dollar for them. I would consider the difference in price as my 'rental fee' for the 1 year I've used them, but is really worth doing?

Also, do you need to raise the 12ma off the floor like the 122i? Until I knew this they were so bassy. Now I place them on an amp stand or a milk crate.

I may ultimately keep the QSC for FOH speakers to supplement or replace my existing PA system (need to add some bass cabs though).

The 12ma is designed to be placed on the floor, it's a monitor, there are separate bass and treble controls too if it gets a bit boomy. I've never owned a qsc so can't comment on the comparative sounds.

I have the FBT Maxx4a and love it. It's the only FRFR speaker I've used though, so I can't really compare it.

Most FRFR speakers are designed to be... full range, so if it sounds bassy it's probably not the speaker. Keep the EQ flat on the speaker and use the EQ, FILTER, or AMP blocks to cut low end (sometimes drastically!)

nota said:
I have the FBT Maxx4a and love it. It's the only FRFR speaker I've used though, so I can't really compare it.

Most FRFR speakers are designed to be... full range, so if it sounds bassy it's probably not the speaker. Keep the EQ flat on the speaker and use the EQ, FILTER, or AMP blocks to cut low end (sometimes drastically!)
Also, beware of placement issues for the cabinet. If the speaker system is placed too close to a wall, you can get coupling effects which can boost the bass response noticeably (from 3 to 6 dB).

the 8ma & 12ma are the best/flatest solution i have tried.
i think the B&C coaxial drivers translate really well for using
the axefx to it's full potentiaL. :ugeek:

larbear63 said:
larbear63: Would you mind running down a quick comparison of the 8ma and 12ma for use with the Axe-Fx over in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7661&p=75872#p75872 ?? I'm leaning towards the 8ma because of the size and weight, but if the fall short on sound compared to the 12ma...well...I could grin and bear the pain. Thanks! :)

iaresee said:
larbear63 said:
larbear63: Would you mind running down a quick comparison of the 8ma and 12ma for use with the Axe-Fx over in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7661&p=75872#p75872 ?? I'm leaning towards the 8ma because of the size and weight, but if the fall short on sound compared to the 12ma...well...I could grin and bear the pain. Thanks! :)

basically the 8ma size to weight is incredible. i have gigged it repeatedly in a 5pc rock band & have been able
to hear myself better than any other rig i have tried in 30yrs. it sounds great.
the 12ma i just received, but it sounds even better(perfect). the axe cabinet & poweramp
emulations really shine. i own both & will keep both. :lol:

I have a pair of QSCs, a 12ma, and an 8ma. I use the 12ma for my rig. It's appreciably better sounding than the QSCs.

hippietim said:
I have a pair of QSCs, a 12ma, and an 8ma. I use the 12ma for my rig. It's appreciably better sounding than the QSCs.

You can't general EQ the QSCs to be as good as the 12ma model ?
I hate to sell my QSCs ......

m lebofsky said:
hippietim said:

You can't general EQ the QSCs to be as good as the 12ma model ?
I hate to sell my QSCs ......

I never got the QSC to sound the way I wanted. Until I found the FBT I was using a power amp and 2x12 cab.

I haven't gigged with my 12ma yet, but as soon as I turned it on and played one of my presets through it, I knew I liked it more than the JBL PRX512M and QSC HPR122i that I've previously tried. It sound fantastic! To me, it sounds as good as running it through my 2x12 cabs. I have an Avatar oversized 2x12 and two Recto 2x12s that will probably be for sale very soon. Of course, I'm still in the honeymoon stage, so I'll wait a bit before putting anything on eBay.

Pardon my ignorance as I'm still a tube amp/4x12 guy who is trying to learn more about this stuff, but when you speak of the '12ma', are you referring to this unit specifically? http://www.fbtusa.net/FBTVerve12atcf.html

I love my Axe-FX as a direct recording device but to date I still prefer running my traditional tube heads/cabinets (I use VHT and Diezel stuff). However these FBTs are intriguing, I'm considering trying it out. Any other models that people seem to think are among the best of the best? I ran into a JBL MRX525 recently and it sounded okay but not quite there. Was lacking in warmth and organic presence.

Do you guys achieve better results going direct into a powered speaker such as the FBT, versus using a separate poweramp (be it tube or solid-state)?

Anyways, glad to finally stop lurking and join the forum. Cheers :)

-Nick

I'm near Boston too (Boxborough) and have an Axe and FBT Maxx4a you can try out if you want. Personally, I'll never go back to a normal amp/head kinda setup again.

nota said:
I'm near Boston too (Boxborough) and have an Axe and FBT Maxx4a you can try out if you want. Personally, I'll never go back to a normal amp/head kinda setup again.

I run a guitar shop in Walpole, would you be willing to bring it down there? I could compare it directly to some of the high-end amps/cabs I have there that way. I'd greatly appreciate it, I'll buy you a pizza or something too ;)

Get in touch with me if you can, my info is on my website (see signature).

nota said:
A pizza is tempting, but Walpole is a bit far for me.

I'll extend the same offer though, bring whatever amps you want and we'll feed you :) 978-394-0157 or ben@theholtsite.com

What about the Brighton/Boston area? That's where my band rehearses. May be a pain to lug a head + 4x12 in my small car is all. Regardless, I'll give you a ring :) How late is too late to call?

HailHalford said:
You guys are dangerously close to starting a New England area AxeFx meet-up. That could be fun... :?:
That might mean multiple AxeFx's in close proximity....sounds dangerous....I wonder what would happen. To be on the safe side, Cliff should probably be in attendance. ;)

Back
Top Bottom