Is it worth buying a used Ultra?

Hey everyone,

I've recently found an incredible deal on a used Axe FX Ultra (around £600), but I'm considering the option of waiting till I save up enough for the XL+. However, for a unit as awesome as the Axe FX, £600 seems fantastic. Would it be better to buy an Eleven Rack or Pod HD for that sort of money?

Thanks,

Alfie

Its definitely better than Pod or Eleven rack. Depends on your funds. You do know about the AX8 as well right?

Its definitely better than Pod or Eleven rack. Depends on your funds. You do know about the AX8 as well right?
I'm aware of it, but I'm not sure if I necessarily want a foot pedal, I'd much prefer a rack mount that has cab impulses (I believe I'm right in saying that the AX8 is essentially an Axe Fx without cabs?)

no the AX8 is essentially an Axe FX II without a few more rare fx blocks, and you can only use 1 amp and 1 cab block in a preset. So no dual amp presets basically. The FX8 might be what you are thinking of- has no amps or cabs, just fx for use with a tube amp.

no the AX8 is essentially an Axe FX II without a few more rare fx blocks, and you can only use 1 amp and 1 cab block in a preset. So no dual amp presets basically. The FX8 might be what you are thinking of- has no amps or cabs, just fx for use with a tube amp.
For bass, dual amp presets will pretty much be the reason I buy an Axe FX, and I'll probably end up using the dual amp presets with guitar too, so that's an absolute no-go.

Then either the Ultra or an Axe FX II. There will surely be a lot of used ones on the market shortly due to the AX8 release.

Then either the Ultra or an Axe FX II. There will surely be a lot of used ones on the market shortly due to the AX8 release.
I've seen some people selling Axe FX II units for well over £1000, with one person selling one with a Matrix power amp and a case for £2000.

Depends on your budget but if you wait a bit for the AX8 release I'd imagine the price of used AXE II's will go down a bit too. I've seen most from 1500-1800 dollars used here. Even then the price of the Ultra will fall a bit more too.

I have the Ultra and XL. The XL is a pristine device and very organic with advanced parameters. That said the Ultra has some presets that I have yet to see improved and it switches presets quicker. I still use it live and use the XL in the studio. The Ultra is a long, long way from being obsolete.

The Ultra kicked butt on V11 firmware. I wouldn't hesitate to gig one, especially if it is right for you budget-wise.

I have an Ultra, axe fx II, and a axe fx xl. The ultra is way better then the pod, and still works just as well as it did when it was new. I still see them being sold for $1000.00. I would not spend much time waiting for axe fx II to take a drastic price drop when the ax8 comes out. I think many like myself will get an ax8 and keep there rack mount axe fx's.

Love both my Ultra and II. The Ultra is definitely worth it if you're getting a deal. You could still save for II and use Ultra for a backup/alternate later too.

If it dies, it will likely be too costly to fix being outdated hardware. I'd save my pennies.

Hey everyone,

I've recently found an incredible deal on a used Axe FX Ultra (around £600), but I'm considering the option of waiting till I save up enough for the XL+. However, for a unit as awesome as the Axe FX, £600 seems fantastic. Would it be better to buy an Eleven Rack or Pod HD for that sort of money?

Thanks,

Alfie
My personal opinion is wait and spring for at least an Axe Fx II. You can probably score a real deal on Mk I soon, and the compatibility is much higher for the great Impulse Response cabs and latest, greatest firmware releases. I think for a few hundred more pounds, you will get the most bang for the buck out of a used Axe Fx II Mk 1 or Mk 2.

It wasn't that long ago that all the pundits/users were just peeing their pants over the Ultra introduction, and it didn't do anything but get better from there. The introduction of the AxeFx II and it's successors just added more accuracy from a modeling point of view. That doesn't take anything away from the Ultra, it just meant that a [insert amp model here] sounded more exactly like a real [insert amp model here]. It doesn't mean the [insert amp model here] model didn't sound good before; It just wasn't a perfect copy like it is now. Still sounds fantastic, though. When you consider that most older tube-based amps were pretty variable in their performance right from the factory, who's to say what's "accurate"? I'm confident that the current models in the latest AxeFx II sound just like the physical examples Cliff has in his studio/lab, but I've owned enough amps to know that they're as individual as the guitars we run through them, particularly when you're talking about tube-based designs.

Given all that, the Ultra is still a fine piece of gear. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed with the thing unless it's important to you that the models be dead-nuts perfect mirror audio images. Even then, remember that a LOT of guys were selling off large collections of premium vintage amps and effects once they got the Ultra. Then, even if you don't care about the amps, the effects are tremendous and numerous.

For 800 beans, you may want to jump on the thing. That kind of money won't buy you a real amp that sounds as good, and you'll get a big pile of amps and effects all in one package.

Back
Top Bottom