Is it possible....

Davus PG

Inspired
To have the bypass state of blocks controlled by a control switch (so they can all be bypassed at once) and also by individual switches?

So say I want to engage a drive, filter and delay block with one footswitch for a lead tone, but also to have independent control of them to switch them in and out as I'm playing?

Not sure if sources 1 & 2 in the modifier page can achieve this?

No, a modifier will override other types of control.

Scenes are the intended way to change multiple things at once and have individual control as well.

Hey Chris,

Sorry I came to the same conclusion and so changed my thread to a question about bypass states of multiple blocks!

But in answer to your question, yes I appreciate my setup that I briefly posted isn't typical 4cm. I'm using the Axe for pre and post effects and also for modeling in some scenes (the best of both worlds). I don't go back to the amp, my signal goes via Output 1 of the Axe to FOH

If Scenes won't fit your need, you could just use more block instances of each block that you are wanting a 'dual-control' type of action on.

Drive 1, Filter 1 and Delay 1 are all attached to Control Switch 1 for solos. Drive 2, Filter 2 and Delay 2 are set up for direct individual control. etc...

I was thinking that Moke, and have been playing around with the idea since posting....It works a treat

The only potential issue I can foresee is say for example I'm on my crunch channel, but have kicked in Drive 2 for a bit more grit and then want to switch to a solo, I'd need to bypass Drive 2 before brining Drive 1, Delay 1 and Filter 1 in with Control Switch 1.

A small price to pay - and to be honest, in the mix of the band, probably barely noticeable if I just left them both on :p

Out of interest would you put the 2nd instances of the blocks in parallel or series?

Agreed, but I'm finding I can get more and more mileage out of a kitchen sink preset at a gig and am trying to limit how many song specific presets I need. For years I was a preset per song player, which is great, but with various things going on at the moment I'm barely finding the time to play and rehearse, so want to keep things as lean as possible for now.

To have the bypass state of blocks controlled by a control switch (so they can all be bypassed at once) and also by individual switches?

So say I want to engage a drive, filter and delay block with one footswitch for a lead tone, but also to have independent control of them to switch them in and out as I'm playing?

If you use one CS or External to turn the group on/off as SRC 1 on each bypass modifier, you could set up a different CS or External per block to toggle each one's state. The caveat: it probably won't work the way you want.

If the middle is set at 100% and the two ends at 0%, to make an upside-down parabola, and Src 1 and Src 2 are set at 50% each, and they are set to do Src 1 + Src 2, the individual CS/External will switch the individual effect so that it is the opposite of the state of the group switch, i.e., if the group is on, the individual effect can be turned off, or vice-versa, but when the group is toggled back off, the one you turned off will turn ON.

I use this trick for rotary speed, to get two switches - one momentary and one latching - that work together like the light switches at either end of the hall or stairs to switch the hall/stairway light on.

Other possibilities include an All On switch with individual Off switches via Src 1 - Src 2 with both Srcs set to 100% or an All Iff switch with individual On switches.

HTH!

I was thinking that Moke, and have been playing around with the idea since posting....It works a treat

The only potential issue I can foresee is say for example I'm on my crunch channel, but have kicked in Drive 2 for a bit more grit and then want to switch to a solo, I'd need to bypass Drive 2 before brining Drive 1, Delay 1 and Filter 1 in with Control Switch 1.

A small price to pay - and to be honest, in the mix of the band, probably barely noticeable if I just left them both on :p

Out of interest would you put the 2nd instances of the blocks in parallel or series?
You could use scene 2 for the Solo instead of a Control Switch, and have the other Control switches set to 'off' in that Solo scene?

I would put the 2nd instances in series to keep it simple.

How is this different from Scenes? On my presets I can swap Scenes to control the bypass state of all the blocks, and the swap over to the "effects" FC layout and toggle any individual block on and off. Pretty standard stuff, isn't it?

How is this different from Scenes? On my presets I can swap Scenes to control the bypass state of all the blocks, and the swap over to the "effects" FC layout and toggle any individual block on and off. Pretty standard stuff, isn't it?

Yes, I know that's one option, and I can do that on my FC too, but I prefer using a single layout as much as possible.

As mentioned this is a kitchen sink preset. I'm using scenes 1 - 5 for my core tones: acoustic sim, clean, edge of breakup, crunch and heavy. In the past I'd have other versions of scenes with effects engaged, but I was exploring the idea of having a single footswitch activate my most commonly used effects (drive, delay, filter) so that any one of those 5 scenes can become a lead sound with the press of a single switch.

The remaining switches I have assigned for other effects I occasionally bring in such as plex, phaser and drive channel A/B etc

Back
Top Bottom