Is it possible to....

Davus PG

Inspired
Include a pedal between the out of the FX8 and the return of my amp?

Am very tempted by the FX8 but having never owned or used an Axe FX the effects are a mystery to me. My current board uses an Eventide H9 for big reverbs and synth type effects and my concern is having to potentially lose those. If the FX8 can replicate them then great, but if not could I include it between the FX8 and my amp and control preset changes via Midi on the FX8?

My amp is a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister so I would intend to control channel preset changes on that via Midi on the FX8 too.

Any help, advice much appreciated.

Thank you

Include a pedal between the out of the FX8 and the return of my amp?

Am very tempted by the FX8 but having never owned or used an Axe FX the effects are a mystery to me. My current board uses an Eventide H9 for big reverbs and synth type effects and my concern is having to potentially lose those. If the FX8 can replicate them then great, but if not could I include it between the FX8 and my amp and control preset changes via Midi on the FX8?

My amp is a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister so I would intend to control channel preset changes on that via Midi on the FX8 too.

Any help, advice much appreciated.

Thank you

That sounds like a killer rig perfectly set up for crazy midi control! FX 8 sounds amazing with my Tubemeister 36 using regular cables. No noise, hum, snaps, crackles or pops!

Ha thank you DavidE i also have a Strymon Timeline on my board. Ideally I'd like to do away with all my pedals, but nice to have the option if there are any effects i want to keep from those pedals.

Is midi control easy to do on the FX8? Could it handle preset changes on the GM, H9 and Timeline?

I currently use a Decibel Eleven Switch Dr to change Grandmeister presets, along with H9 & Timeline presets and switch in and out loops containing a ampler Ego and Suhr Shiba. I have it all working well, but is a bit of a pain. An all in one box with no need for power bricks and a zillion patch cables is very tempting.

I'd like to hear more of the FX8 but there seem to be limited demos out there. Those I have seen though are all excellent.

Thanks for the replies

Ha thank you DavidE i also have a Strymon Timeline on my board. Ideally I'd like to do away with all my pedals, but nice to have the option if there are any effects i want to keep from those pedals.

Is midi control easy to do on the FX8? Could it handle preset changes on the GM, H9 and Timeline?

I currently use a Decibel Eleven Switch Dr to change Grandmeister presets, along with H9 & Timeline presets and switch in and out loops containing a ampler Ego and Suhr Shiba. I have it all working well, but is a bit of a pain. An all in one box with no need for power bricks and a zillion patch cables is very tempting.

I'd like to hear more of the FX8 but there seem to be limited demos out there. Those I have seen though are all excellent.

Thanks for the replies

I'm not a midi user, so I can't be of much help. Since I'm not yet using scenes (waiting for the firmware update), I have a small two button switch on my board for channels. If I end up using scenes, I will hook up a midi cable to change channels and power settings.

I hope to find some time this weekend to load some killer delay and reverb blocks I downloaded from a link here.

Why do you need the firmware update to use scenes?

Am I right in thinking that scenes are like my presets on my Switch Dr, so for example:

Preset (Scene) 1: Preset 5 on my Grandmeister, Preset 49 on the H9, Preset 15 on the Timeline, Loop 1 (compressor) activated
Preset (Scene) 2: Preset 6 on my Grandmeister, H9 bypassed, Preset 21 on the Timeline, Loop 2 (Shiba) activated.

I made these up but it's just an example. I would obviously not be using my pedals for the compressor or drive as I would use the FX8 for this, I'm just trying to get my head around scenes.

Also can the scenes be on switches 1 - 8 on the FX8? With my Switch Dr for any given song I will have up to 4 presets (as there are 4 switches on the Switch Dr and it keeps it simple)

So switch 1 = scene 1
switch 2 = scene 2 etc

Does that sound right?!

Why do you need the firmware update to use scenes?

i think he's referring to what Cliff/FAS said recently about an update coming to the FX8 that allows the functions of switches to be mixed, instead of a full page of Scene, or Full Page of stomp, etc. so something like top 4 switches are Scenes, Bottom 4 are Presets.

I think you and your current gear will get along just fine with the fx8. Don't bother with trying to listen to sound qualities on youtube. It sounds like cutting edge top of the food chain fx. You certainly won't be disappointed with sound quality. Now trying to control several pieces of midi gear, that might be a bit of work to get it figured out. Scene changes have a lot of midi control options and you can always add a midi block if needed also. I don think you will need both your timeline and your h9.. Maybe keep one if you like complicated patches.

Ah thanks, very helpful.

I know getting it setup would be a real headache, but I'm pretty confident the FX8 could do everything I need

In 4cm you could put your h9 between the fx8 send and the amp return and switch the presets in the h9 via midi. Bear in mind that the h9 would always be the last fx in the chain. If you do not need the H9 fx then have a bypass preset in the H9 so you could use an fx8 reverb if you don't need anything from the H9

Yup thats exactly what i was thinking.
All I'm unclear of is how i set up the FX8 to handle preset changes on the amp and preset changes on the H9 or Timeline if i used it simultaneously.

If you use the new h9 features, you can double loop it so it could go pre or post. Lots of cables though! I think you'll find that you can get rid of everything and just use the fx8. I'm just getting mine working well. Ive had to make a few adjustments in strategy as to how I'm setting up my patches but there is always a work around when I get stumped and the upcoming fw update should solve a lot of them.

You would need to program the fx8 to send a midi pc when a scene is selected then copy the "sounds you like" from you strymon / eventide /whatever to have the "sound you like" in the same preset as what the fx8 is sending. It's a bit of a fiddle but my advice is to plan it all out. There will be lots of duplicates in your banks on the outboard gear I'm afraid

You could use a midi block but I wouldn't advise it because with some careful planning and having "bypass" presets in your outboard gear you can avoid wasting an fx block for a midi block

Last edited:
I am keeping my Eventide Space at the end of the return after my FX8 connected via midi. Should be no problem!

i think he's referring to what Cliff/FAS said recently about an update coming to the FX8 that allows the functions of switches to be mixed, instead of a full page of Scene, or Full Page of stomp, etc. so something like top 4 switches are Scenes, Bottom 4 are Presets.

Exactly. I want the combination before I mess further with scenes. I'm just in stompbox mode until the fw update.

Ok, so pardon my ignorance, but does scenes mean that I can have the same as my current rig where switch 1 of my Switch Dr activates an amp preset and any combination of effects, switch 2 may change the amp preset and disable some effects and bring in others etc?

So effectively with 4 switches in a row on the FX8 I have 4 totally different combinations of amp presets (changed via midi) and FX8 effects?

If so then that is all I need

Ok, so pardon my ignorance, but does scenes mean that I can have the same as my current rig where switch 1 of my Switch Dr activates an amp preset and any combination of effects, switch 2 may change the amp preset and disable some effects and bring in others etc?

So effectively with 4 switches in a row on the FX8 I have 4 totally different combinations of amp presets (changed via midi) and FX8 effects?

If so then that is all I need

basically yes. each Preset currently has 8 Scenes, so you can already do this. the wish and potential update will let us change the switches from all 8 Scenes only, or all 8 Presets only, or all 8 stompbox/effects only, to a mixture of the different types of switches, some Preset, some Scene, some stomp. we haven't been told any specifics, so don't hold FAS to any of what i just said :)

Yes, that is correct. If you use scenes all the fx switching that is going on must be contained in one preset. Which should be fine as long as your not trying to cram everything in one preset. It's common practice to have a preset per song, than use scenes to select how it's patched for the different sounds in the song.

Yes, that is correct. If you use scenes all the fx switching that is going on must be contained in one preset. Which should be fine as long as your not trying to cram everything in one preset. It's common practice to have a preset per song, than use scenes to select how it's patched for the different sounds in the song.

Ah ok.

So can the FX8 also run where each of the footswitches changes preset?

Therefore I don't need everything contained in 1 preset. Right?

Back
Top Bottom