Is it possible to get this tone on FM3?

The AOGHAU sessions. Thats an unprocessed, live guitar tone being tracked, and even through a mobile phone recording it sounds sick.

I think he's plugged into the white EVH 5150 III.

The closest I got to this is through this Hybrid Theory tone guide on G66 which works surprisingly well for F# tuning, and is based on the Dual Rec.:

I disabled the pitch block and recorded 2 takes of the A Match Made In Heaven riff with both the less saturated verse scene tone and the more saturated chorus one which you can find in the zip.
Its quite close, yet so far as I think its got too much sizzle and less of a djent vibe than the studio tone from the videos.

What should I change?

Attachments

• Tone.zip
    471.6 KB · Views: 6
Share your preset.
it seems you need a high cut.
The one marked with IR Ive since edited with different cab IRs, Ive also disabled the pitch block from all presets.

But I really dont hear the high cut, to me it sounds a lot more muffled and muddy in the low and low-mid range as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• 413_One Step Closer.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 415_One Step Closer IR.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
i'm not at home, but i have a feeling it's more a case of getting your Low-Cut before the amp right and then the multi-band compressor
the low cut before the amp is a big one on very low tuned guitars

there's two ways of doing it , via a Filter block before the amp (which can also double as a boost) , using the Low cut control
or in the Input EQ on the amp itself, You can also try the 'Cut' button in the 'ideal' tab of the amp, to clean things up, but it's doing the same as upping the Input EQ

after that IR/cab selection will make a difference, and then how things are EQ'd, i'd suggest trying out the Cab/Preamp page as well, maybe the Modern setting, and then upping the Middle + Treble here to see how it affects things (these controls only work if a preamp is selected)

I'm not sure what amps they used on that record , or a combination of plugins + amps, ol' faithful 5153 Red might deliver the goods (it also has a quite high input EQ by default which can help) , it's been a while since i listened to that record, might have to check it out again

i'm not at home, but i have a feeling it's more a case of getting your Low-Cut before the amp right and then the multi-band compressor
the low cut before the amp is a big one on very low tuned guitars

there's two ways of doing it , via a Filter block before the amp (which can also double as a boost) , using the Low cut control
or in the Input EQ on the amp itself, You can also try the 'Cut' button in the 'ideal' tab of the amp, to clean things up, but it's doing the same as upping the Input EQ

after that IR/cab selection will make a difference, and then how things are EQ'd, i'd suggest trying out the Cab/Preamp page as well, maybe the Modern setting, and then upping the Middle + Treble here to see how it affects things (these controls only work if a preamp is selected)

I'm not sure what amps they used on that record , or a combination of plugins + amps, ol' faithful 5153 Red might deliver the goods (it also has a quite high input EQ by default which can help) , it's been a while since i listened to that record, might have to check it out again
Thanks. Judging from that video, he's plugged into the white EVH 5150 III, but the final tone could be a mix of anything. However Id be really satisfied if I could just get the tone hes playing/tracking with too, its really tight while having the right kind of bouncy oomph in the lower end and never sounding muddy or sloppy. Ill try your tips and get back to you.

Thanks. Judging from that video, he's plugged into the white EVH 5150 III, but the final tone could be a mix of anything. However Id be really satisfied if I could just get the tone hes playing/tracking with too, its really tight while having the right kind of bouncy oomph in the lower end and never sounding muddy or sloppy. Ill try your tips and get back to you.
ok cool, i made a video on my latest main preset on my channel
attached it below, that has some of those concepts in there already, might help

doesn't have my custom IRs (ownhammer low tuned) but the factory cabs work fine

Attachments

• pb - Drogher 2024 wo customIR.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
ok cool, i made a video on my latest main preset on my channel
attached it below, that has some of those concepts in there already, might help

doesn't have my custom IRs (ownhammer low tuned) but the factory cabs work fine
Ive actually bought your preset pack. I also do have the ownhammer pack, which exact cab did you use? I got somewhat close to that tone with your Drogher preset + various IRs like the Tue Madsen pack or York Audio MESA, but it still lacks that magic response, I really dont know how to put my finger on it, but even through the iPhone mic recording in that video from 9 years ago you can totally hear it.

Ive actually bought your preset pack. I also do have the ownhammer pack, which exact cab did you use? I got somewhat close to that tone with your Drogher preset + various IRs like the Tue Madsen pack or York Audio MESA, but it still lacks that magic response, I really dont know how to put my finger on it, but even through the iPhone mic recording in that video from 9 years ago you can totally hear it.
ah thanks 🙏

ownhammer lowtuned live + snarl
hardpanned / stereo

a lot is in the hands /guitar as well, and chances are when tracking there's probably extra eq maybe compression as well using outboard gear

what guitar/pickups are you using?

you can also clearly hear the strings in the videos in the first post, this also may influence how you preceive the sound.

ah thanks 🙏

ownhammer lowtuned live + snarl
hardpanned / stereo

a lot is in the hands /guitar as well, and chances are when tracking there's probably extra eq maybe compression as well using outboard gear

what guitar/pickups are you using?
Theres most likely a lot of post EQ/processing, but the FM3 does have the ability to emulate all of it. I, on the other hand, unfortunately, dont :sweatsmile:
I have Instrumental Sfty3 7 in the bridge and SD Black Winter in the neck.

you can also clearly hear the strings in the videos in the first post, this also may influence how you preceive the sound.
Nah dont think it matters as the separation between the two is quite clear even through the phone mic. What Im specifically chasing is how focused and rounded it sounds during bends or on the open low F#, so far none of the tones Ive got have given me the same response. Theres also absolutely no sizzle nor woofiness in his tone.

Back
Top Bottom